Author Topic: Gambit bi?  (Read 7446 times)

Offline GothamGirl

• Guild Member
  • testing
Gambit bi?
« on: March 07, 2020, 01:48:47 AM »
They could have made him bi. It wouldn't have made us question any of his previous romances. It could have been simply that he suppressed that half of himself all those years and one day become comfortably with it through a character driven story. There are people who hide the fact that they are bisexual and those that didn't are assumed to be going through a phase, gay, or straight. No. We get magic re-write.

Admin edit: Thought this topic needed its own thread. No intro for the subject but think those posting get it.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:24:05 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit bi
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 05:47:36 PM »
He never was bi. I am not interested in such story.

Marvel has bi and gay characters. They should use them and not turning straight into be or gay. Iceman retcon was really bad.
Just my opinion.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 07:28:10 PM »
There's no reason nor need to change an established character like Gambit like that. It would’ve been an unnecessary, kinda ridiculous retcon since there have never been any hints Gambit was ever attracted to other men, it’d be for shock value only. Gambit has kept many secrets but I doubt he would've hidden something regarding his sexuality, he’s supposed to be comfortable with it.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 08:55:53 PM »
As far as I can remember, there were two scenes but neither scene showed Gambit as anything other than straight. He rejected Daken outright when he came onto Gambit.
There was the priest in the horrendous second mini who save Gambit's life with mouth to mouth and Gambit jokes that he liked him better when he was kissing him.

I think the point being Gambit has always been comfortable with his sexuality and has always shown an affinity for women.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 09:07:23 PM »
I see the Daken scene as Gambit taking advantage of the situation. And what he said to the Priest was in jest. Gambit has always been written as straight. Of course, it he had been changed into being bisexual, people would start reading past scenes differently and subvert them.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 10:16:18 PM »
I see the Daken scene as Gambit taking advantage of the situation. And what he said to the Priest was in jest. Gambit has always been written as straight. Of course, it he had been changed into being bisexual, people would start reading past scenes differently and subvert them.
Agreed. I thought the scene with the Priest was a joke as well. He was trying to lighten the mood when the Priest was upset about the Nun.

I also agree that Gambit played Daken - whatever advantage one can get in a fight, right? LOL
Anyway, I don't think his sexuality should be changed. There are so many characters who can handle the LGBT+ stuff really well if they have a talented writer.

There are TV shows who handle those themes better, Marvel needs to learn from that, imo.

Offline GothamGirl

• Guild Member
  • testing
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 07:59:31 PM »

I would reject Daken so that means nothing. Also I referring to making iceman bi instead of gay, not Gambit. That was my fault for using "he" instead of a name.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 09:58:56 PM »
While not sure what Iceman's sexuality should be - I think Iceman's sexuality was handled poorly.

It was never about if he was or wasn't. It was how it was handled in the books. IMO, handled poorly and for press.

If this was the direction it should have been more organic than Jean Grey stating his preference. Iceman should have been the one to state his sexuality, not Jean telling him.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:05:51 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit bi?
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 08:27:40 AM »
...no...
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 10:24:38 AM »
Well, not only is there no actual foundation or basis for it, it would be a terrible and stupid idea...just my opinion.

So, Hell No.

And by that same logic, maybe Gambit's also a transgendered woman? Or, maybe he was once a cat? Or a closeted Trump fan? Why not? Continuity be damned.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:04:19 PM by Nekobaghira »
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline GothamGirl

• Guild Member
  • testing
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 05:01:21 PM »
While not sure what Iceman's sexuality should be - I think Iceman's sexuality was handled poorly.

It was never about if he was or wasn't. It was how it was handled in the books. IMO, handled poorly and for press.

If this was the direction it should have been more organic than Jean Grey stating his preference. Iceman should have been the one to state his sexuality, not Jean telling him.

Perfectly stated.

Offline cajunpirate

• Master Thief
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 09:52:09 PM »

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 09:22:57 AM »

Amen.

That scene was atrociously bad. It was clearly for the press and to pander to the SJW's. It starts with Jean condescendingly scolding Iceman for being misogynistic/sexist. Then she smugly urges him to confess to being gay. When he plays obtuse (or, more likely, in denial) she then arrogantly tells him he is gay. When he denies it, visibly uncomfortable and upset, and tries to claim maybe he's bi, she says (woefully unaware of her own self righteous contradiction) she believes everyone's bi to some degree, but that he's completely gay. He then reluctantly and sadly relents to her essentially browbeating and bullying. And, SHE'S the HERO?

Are...you...kidding...me?!

So somehow it's perfectly acceptable for Jean Grey to abuse her telepathic powers and forcibly out a reluctant and self-conscious Bobby (with later ramifications of leading to him confronting an older Bobby), says "everyone's bi" but he's "completely gay" (apparently you can't be entirely straight, but can be entirely gay), and bullies and berates him into admission.

How that ever cleared the editing board is beyond me.

\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 12:48:37 PM »
It was Bendis, a Marvel darling at the time.

Yeah, I still laugh at the language used. "Full Gay" which makes me cringe because then there must be a partial gay or quarter gay or any other measurement one wants to use. I suppose it supports Jean's everyone is bi concept.

I don't like it in fanfic either, I don't get why there needs to be a qualifier for sexuality.

I've read things like, "extremely" gay, not sure what that means but whatever. Or "not just gay, but really gay," again, whatever. I don't think qualifier words are needed.

Certainly nobody applies qualifiers for straight or with the word hetero. Apply a qualifier for those words and its equally absurd. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:50:17 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 04:48:35 AM »
Okay. Be opposed to changing Gambit's sexuality if you want. But can we stop saying SJW like it is a bad thing or some kind of insult? Social justice is important and caring about equity and representation is not a bad thing. In fact, I don't understand how you can be a fan of the X-Men franchise and disparage "SJW". I think that is cognitive dissonance to the nth degree.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:50:50 AM by hairlesscat »