Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61956 times)

NicoPony

Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2021, 07:47:27 PM »

More likely he just has Rogue cheat on Gambit and then Gambit will be written like a chump who just accepts it ala the whole Make Carey storyline where Gambit pushed Rogue onto Mags so she could bang him and get it out of her system. More than likely it would be written as Gambit's fault Rogue cheated.

We all know whatever it is that leads to their inevitable breakup will be All Gambit’s Fault(R).

(All Gambit’s Fault is a registered trademark of Marvel)

Rathe than a cheating situation, I kinda picture a baby-whiner moment where Gambit says something dumb like: it’s the X-Men or me! And then stomps off like a child while Rogue nobly assumes the mantle of righteous heroism.

Offline X-fan73

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2021, 10:53:05 PM »
I think it is okay for Gambit and Rogue to be on different books obviously, but again it looks like Gambit is going to be mostly unused by Marvel as a supporting character. If Duggan does go after the marriage, it will be just another example of the same type of dribble we have seen before. Everyone other than Reed and Sue Richard's can't be married. And Superheros need to be single. Who, knows.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 10:54:40 PM by X-fan73 »

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2021, 10:57:04 AM »

Rathe than a cheating situation, I kinda picture a baby-whiner moment where Gambit says something dumb like: it’s the X-Men or me! And then stomps off like a child while Rogue nobly assumes the mantle of righteous heroism.

That's pretty much on point on how he's written in Excalibur.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2021, 09:25:13 AM »
I think they should have been on different teams from the get-go. They should be a huge liability. In a team situation - it's only natural that they'd put each other over their teammates despite the situation. It's why spouses are typically not placed under the same command. They more than likely report and live on the same base - perhaps the same regiment, but different companies. The fact that they were together didn't make a lot of sense.. heck, them being on Excalibur to begin with didn't work. It's not their avenue. Out of the two, Rogue works best - but Gambit just never fit. Not with the story, not with the writer's style. Marauders, Hellions, X-Force - all would have been a much better fit. I feel like I've said this before...
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2021, 10:05:21 AM »
I think Gambit would work on Excalibur if the writer bothered to know the character at all. The Guild he grew up in was steeped in magical prophecy. His Tante Mattie is a voodoo priestess. He's pals with Doctor Voodoo. He STOLE THE EXCALIBUR from EXCALIBUR herself. And I don't know if it burned up with his New Sun powers, but he did have some lore crammed into his head by Sinister stolen from Ozymandius. He was even casting magic spells in the first issue of All New X-Factor.

Rogue maybe has some kind of magical connection through that weird hippie commune she grew up in (weak). But her role is to be BFFs with Betsy. You know, because they're so close.

Trying to make sense of Excalibur the book is not really worthwhile. Let's hope it's canned after July.

Gambit is chained up on the July issue. OH NO! How will he escape without Rogue there to help him? (the sarcasm is fierce with me today). Likely, he will be unconscious the whole time. I'm gonna guess some kinda spell that prevents a master thief (who finds himself bound in chains about every Tuesday) from escaping, but it's all the more likely he knocks himself out.

I'd like it if Gambit, who has completely isolated himself from friends and family in his single-minded commitment to Rogue, got bored of his house husband duties and took a walk around the island looking for some of his long-lost friends. And maybe realizes that his precog pals killed during his last stint as a Marauder aren't around. Then he can go over to X-Factor and they can look into it. They could solve the Mystery of the Missing Clairvoyants.

Or maybe Storm swings by the Lighthouse, says I got a bunch of teens to mentor and you're good at that, so let's jet.

He's not going to Marauders, I think Banshee is. X-Force is too gross and I don't want to see him get chopped up into hamburger. He'd have to do something bad or be out of control to end up with the Hellions. Likewise, while I am endlessly amused by Sinister, I don't want Gambit being used as canon fodder, eaten by zombies, chopped up by deformed mutants, or have his teeth pulled out. Given its horror themes, Hellions would probably kill his cats and there will be a whole Pet Semetery arc.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2021, 10:26:11 AM »
Too many Gambit-haters writing X-Books at the moment.
Been like this for 20 years.
MCU and Disney+ are our only hope.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2021, 02:53:02 PM »
I think Gambit would work on Excalibur if the writer bothered to know the character at all. The Guild he grew up in was steeped in magical prophecy. His Tante Mattie is a voodoo priestess. He's pals with Doctor Voodoo. He STOLE THE EXCALIBUR from EXCALIBUR herself. And I don't know if it burned up with his New Sun powers, but he did have some lore crammed into his head by Sinister stolen from Ozymandius. He was even casting magic spells in the first issue of All New X-Factor.

Nah, nah, nah. Not what I meant. Gambit can work in a magical-mystical book... not the @#@$@$ that Excalibur has been about. Gambit makes fun of fairyland situations, he gets a kick out of it. We've seen that. The kind of supernatural book that would work with him is something with the tone of Midnight Sons or the last half of PADs X-Factor (Investigations). That and...  #$@@$@ if you cant write superhero comics - you shouldn't write superhero comics.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline thjan

• Guild Member
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2021, 06:36:52 PM »

Yeah, I don't want Gambit on X-Force of Hellions for the exact reasons you listed, NicoPony.

Too many Gambit-haters writing X-Books at the moment.
Been like this for 20 years.
MCU and Disney+ are our only hope.

Yep, it really is looking like the only hope for comic Gambit is for Gambit to be important in the MCU.  Those same writers will suddenly be falling all over themselves to write him and say how they have always liked Gambit.

I kept hoping as time went by and people that grew up with Gambit started writing and editing the comics that he would get a place of prominence in the comics again, but aside from Kelly Thompson that has not happened.  I guess there is still time for that though.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2021, 08:15:05 PM »
Yeah, I don't want Gambit on X-Force of Hellions for the exact reasons you listed, NicoPony.

Yep, it really is looking like the only hope for comic Gambit is for Gambit to be important in the MCU.  Those same writers will suddenly be falling all over themselves to write him and say how they have always liked Gambit.

I kept hoping as time went by and people that grew up with Gambit started writing and editing the comics that he would get a place of prominence in the comics again, but aside from Kelly Thompson that has not happened.  I guess there is still time for that though.

It seems deeper than that. There have been others that want to write the character. Asmus wanted another shot with a proper X-Men book but got stuck with that Inhumans book. Donny Cates publicly pitched his interest in writing a Gambit solo. Then Fabian... Well Marvel's Editor In Chief said all he had to do is say the word. I think that's or best bet (aside from the MCU insta-amping his profile). If Fabian got the nod even 3 months ago, we wouldn't know untill like... August, maybe? They'd have up to 4 issues done before they'd announce it.

NicoPony

« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2021, 10:06:49 AM »

Nah, nah, nah. Not what I meant. Gambit can work in a magical-mystical book... not the @#@$@$ that Excalibur has been about. Gambit makes fun of fairyland situations, he gets a kick out of it. We've seen that. The kind of supernatural book that would work with him is something with the tone of Midnight Sons or the last half of PADs X-Factor (Investigations). That and...  #$@@$@ if you cant write superhero comics - you shouldn't write superhero comics.

TBH, I don't know what Excalibur is about. And when I try to find summaries/reviews on it, it seems no one else knows what it's about either.  ;D  I get what you're saying now. I want Gambit in the real-world where he belongs. Not in Avalon or Otherworld or whatever the hell. I have never been into high fantasy like LOTR, but I like Harry Potter, The Magicians, because it incorporates reality. Like, magic CAN be real, my owl just hasn't arrived yet.

I'm all for exploring different genres with superheroes. When it comes to magic, if there's no explicit rules, then there seems to be no danger/repercussions. If it doesn't have ties to the world, then there's no impact or growth for any of the characters trapped in Excalibur.

Now there's an X-Corp, which I wonder will it be anything like PAD's concept of a corporate sponsored X-Team, or do we watch X-Men write TPS reports?

OK, changing topic. Can we talk about Gambit's Gala outfit? For someone who likes pink, comes from NOLA, this looks more like his PJs (if we didn't know he slept in the buff).

I'm going to pretend that the shirtlessness is the designer knowing Gambit eschews shirt-wearing and not just because he was lazy and didn't feel like finishing his drawing.

Found some code mixed into your post*
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 11:56:08 AM by DonPriceTag »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2021, 11:55:01 AM »

TBH, I don't know what Excalibur is about. And when I try to find summaries/reviews on it, it seems no one else knows what it's about either.  ;D  I get what you're saying now. I want Gambit in the real-world where he belongs. Not in Avalon or Otherworld or whatever the hell. I have never been into high fantasy like LOTR, but I like Harry Potter, The Magicians, because it incorporates reality. Like, magic CAN be real, my owl just hasn't arrived yet.

I'm all for exploring different genres with superheroes. When it comes to magic, if there's no explicit rules, then there seems to be no danger/repercussions. If it doesn't have ties to the world, then there's no impact or growth for any of the characters trapped in Excalibur.

Now there's an X-Corp, which I wonder will it be anything like PAD's concept of a corporate sponsored X-Team, or do we watch X-Men write TPS reports?

OK, changing topic. Can we talk about Gambit's Gala outfit? For someone who likes pink, comes from NOLA, this looks more like his PJs (if we didn't know he slept in the buff).

I'm going to pretend that the shirtlessness is the designer knowing Gambit eschews shirt-wearing and not just because he was lazy and didn't feel like finishing his drawing.

X-Corp was supposed to come out a while ago but got pushed back. From what I can tell it centers around Corporate Espionage and how Krakoa is taking over industries - which is what I thought Marauders was leaning into, to be honest. It's another avenue someone like Gambit could easily guest star or become a regular in - buuuut it's being written by Tini Howard, so, adamantium-hard pass on that.

Again another reason why I think Excalibur is ending. With her over there and Rictor getting his own book (The Druid) - perhaps it's done but maybe at least a different creative team? Maybe when Bryan Edward Hill returns with Fallen Angels - he'll cast Gambit? The book of wasn't great but I dug the tone and it was the only book where Sinister after like himself.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2021, 02:42:01 PM »
Don, where did you get info about Rictor solo book? I can't find it anywhere.

I hope Excalibur will end soon but it probably won't end till issue 25 or 27 that will be October or December.

Don't care for Gala but Gambit's look is boring. Probably just a wallpaper look for a wallpaper character that won't have even a line in a main story.

NicoPony

« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2021, 03:28:47 PM »

X-Corp was supposed to come out a while ago but got pushed back. From what I can tell it centers around Corporate Espionage and how Krakoa is taking over industries - which is what I thought Marauders was leaning into, to be honest. It's another avenue someone like Gambit could easily guest star or become a regular in - buuuut it's being written by Tini Howard, so, adamantium-hard pass on that.

Again another reason why I think Excalibur is ending. With her over there and Rictor getting his own book (The Druid) - perhaps it's done but maybe at least a different creative team? Maybe when Bryan Edward Hill returns with Fallen Angels - he'll cast Gambit? The book of wasn't great but I dug the tone and it was the only book where Sinister after like himself.

Whenever my company comes out with a new "innovation", I ask myself: WHO ASKED FOR THIS RIDICULOUS/DISGUSTING PRODUCT?

Nine months later, guaranteed, it is discontinued. Marvel needs to ask: Who is asking for a magical book starring Rictor? Was he even magical a year ago?  (I don't actually need these questions answered, because I don't really care) Can the X-verse support two Magical Mutants books?

Here's the explanation for Gambit's future disappearance. He heard there was a new comic coming out called "The Trial."
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 05:02:59 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2021, 05:02:04 PM »
Don, where did you get info about Rictor solo book? I can't find it anywhere.

I hope Excalibur will end soon but it probably won't end till issue 25 or 27 that will be October or December.

Don't care for Gala but Gambit's look is boring. Probably just a wallpaper look for a wallpaper character that won't have even a line in a main story.

It's part of a redacted image marvel put out about upcoming books. There was already a rumor before it, and then you can trace out the name of the book from the redacted title, somewhat proving it. I'll look for the teaser image!

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2021, 05:04:17 PM »
Case in point... Modok is getting a TV show. All of a sudden he's got a brand new solo... MODOK.

MODOK.