Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61984 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #345 on: July 25, 2021, 07:14:16 PM »

I guess I'm the odd one out in feeling that the theory Claremont provided in The End made some sort of sense and I didn't hate it. However, I love the idea you posited here, too!

As to his parents in general, does every character need a connection to another one? Or some strange sci-fi origin story? No, not really.

The story someone concocted for Rogue's parents in her solo series some years back comes to mind as strange and needlessly convoluted. The part with her aunt was the only thing in that that felt like it had any emotional integrity to it. The otherworldly bells and whistles felt like they were thrown into the pot by someone who was trying too hard to come up with anything other than "typical". Those are just my feelings though.

With Gambit, on the other hand, I feel like it makes sense that his origin may not be so straightforward, and obviously, in the hands of a good writer, could be done wonderfully.

Your not alone. The idea never bothered me much. I actually thought it was interesting. I don't think or understand how it would lessen his character if anything in The End came to fruition in terms of his origin. I'd actually be more annoyed if his connection to Sinister was just left unexplored. Plot holes and unexplained strings annoy me to no end.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #346 on: July 25, 2021, 07:17:10 PM »
Can someone please tell me what these clown pants are?

I'm with you. What are these clown pants I constantly hear you guys bringing up? Maybe I don't want to know.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #347 on: July 25, 2021, 07:19:33 PM »
Can someone please tell me what these clown pants are?

In X-Men I don't know what run anymore but it was an all female team, Gambit was depicted... Attending Burning Man festival wearing card themed MC Hammer parachute pants whilst walking about offering women back rubs like some kind of creep. Some super villain thing happens and instead of jumping in - he calls for help and I suppose just obediently waits... I don't remember much else. It's by far the cringist out of character moment most of us have ever witnessed.

Can I please napalm it from my memory again?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 07:21:05 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #348 on: July 25, 2021, 07:25:58 PM »
Written by Brian Wood X-Men 2015... I don't know anymore... Please don't make me go the bad place again... :'(

Offline thjan

• Guild Member
« Reply #349 on: July 25, 2021, 07:53:56 PM »
The clown pants were in X-Men(2013) #23 written by G. Willow Wilson.  And yeah that was a low point for the character.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #351 on: July 25, 2021, 08:16:03 PM »
The clown pants were in X-Men(2013) #23 written by G. Willow Wilson.  And yeah that was a low point for the character.

Willow... Right... You right... Why did I think it was Wood? Did he take over after she left or something?

Online Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #352 on: July 25, 2021, 08:17:40 PM »
Wow, I totally put G. Willow Wilson out of my mind. She thought it would be hilarious to portray him that way and the Gambit fan were under the bus with other fans because allegedly a Gambit fan suggested it.  Pfft. That was awful. I'd look for the image but nope, don't have it in me to see those dumb pants ever again.  LOL

Thanks for the images Romeo.  An artist today posted some art on Twitter, just torso and head shot of Gambit and Rogue. Gambit looked good, Rogue looked a little young or like one of selfie filters, weird. Great on the artist for sharing though.

Offline thjan

• Guild Member
« Reply #353 on: July 25, 2021, 08:27:49 PM »

Willow... Right... You right... Why did I think it was Wood? Did he take over after she left or something?

He started the book and was on the title for most of its run.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #354 on: July 25, 2021, 09:06:27 PM »
Worse than clown pants was that... person calling Gambit skeevy to justify the clown pants, and his offering free massages and getting the brush-off *sigh*

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #355 on: July 25, 2021, 09:06:51 PM »
So it was just to make fun of him then. The free back rubs thing sounds even worse believe it or not.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #356 on: July 25, 2021, 09:10:56 PM »

I guess I'm the odd one out in feeling that the theory Claremont provided in The End made some sort of sense and I didn't hate it. However, I love the idea you posited here, too!

I didn't hate it, either. At this point, Gambit's origins not having connections to Sinister would be nonsensical. Having said that, no need for any kind of relation to the boring Summers, please.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #357 on: July 25, 2021, 09:15:24 PM »
So it was just to make fun of him then. The free back rubs thing sounds even worse believe it or not.

The combo is worse.

(I apologize in advance.)

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #358 on: July 25, 2021, 09:25:25 PM »
My fiance's response to the clown-pants was to cringe and go "#NotMyGambit!"

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #359 on: July 25, 2021, 09:26:23 PM »
Damn, that's painful. It even looks like clown shoes too.