Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61793 times)

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 01:36:32 AM »

I agree with this. But it doesn't explain why Gambit is the only one called a creep and sleazy while popular characters are excused for much worse. You frequently see his TAS scenes and random old comic panels being taken out of context to "prove" Gambit's a creep and to justify writers' lack of interest in him when, in reality, what they're proving is their own incompetence. Editors don't do their jobs, either.
They simply don't like the character. There isn't much more to it than that.

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 02:12:34 AM »
When I ask "comic fans" what they don't like about Gambit they always refer to something that either didn't happen or some sort of headcanon implanted in their heads from watching the show. Gambit "the lady's man" never really existed in the books. The only glimpses we see of that incarnation are through flashbacks within his solos, so you know they aren't talking about that - cause they don't read his solos.
In my experience, 99% of the people who don't like Gambit don't actually know anything about him at all. I actually find it quite funny.
As far as the lady's man thing goes, I think that Gambit has always been depicted as one in the comics. Women like him and find him attractive and he likes them too. Gambit is a ladies man, not a womanizer. I agree that most of his hookups were in the past, but I don't see that as a bad thing per se. I see Gambit as a man who could have a different woman every night and many girlfriends at a time if he wanted. And maybe in his earlier days he might have. But he's moved past that stage in his life and wants something more stable and meaningful now. Plus he fell in love. Yeah it sucks that the X-office is full of hacks who couldn't write ROMY with enough respect for his character. But it is what it is.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 08:01:05 AM »
When I ask "comic fans" what they don't like about Gambit they always refer to something that either didn't happen or some sort of headcanon implanted in their heads from watching the show. Gambit "the lady's man" never really existed in the books. The only glimpses we see of that incarnation are through flashbacks within his solos, so you know they aren't talking about that - cause they don't read his solos. Cyclops is 10x the sleaze. Wolverine would have died from some sort of STD years ago if it weren't for his healing factor, and Iceman is almost as "bad", now he's an equal offender having been with at least 3 dudes since coming out only a handful of years ago. Beast and Professor X have more of a dating history than Gambit at this point. But both are perceived as jerks these days, anyway.

Exactly. The traits used to justify the hatred toward Gambit are either inexistent or taken out of context. In the books, we’re led to believe Gambit is a ladies’ man without real evidence of his sleeping around unlike the cartoon, there’s that episode that Gambit arrives in the middle of the night, another one Storm says something about him coming home early in the morning. Also, his lines such as “You can drain my energy anytime” which were fun and went over your head as a kid are suddenly problematic.

Wolverine has been with a thousand partners on panel and that’s okay. Yeah, Cyclops is the worst. But again, only Gambit is sleazy, the same guy who’s been married twice.

In the rarely occasions we see him with some woman on panel, it’s always someone insignificant. He’s never been in a meaningful relationship with a relevant x-woman other than Rogue. There were some huge missed opportunities over the years.

NicoPony

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 09:34:28 AM »
In the rarely occasions we see him with some woman on panel, it’s always someone insignificant. He’s never been in a meaningful relationship with a relevant x-woman other than Rogue. There were some huge missed opportunities over the years.

No sense in lamenting what could have been, but I will always mourn the Jean/Remy opportunity that was passed on. Polaris after that...maybe? She seemed a bit mean. Maybe he’d been better off with Danger. They had a vibe. Anyone else an Almost Coulda Been?

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 12:21:57 PM »
As others have said, Gambit isn't a sleaze. He's a flirt, a charming, handsome, charismatic, magnetic guy who COULD have a girl every night, that every woman kinda secretly wishes she could have a one off fling with, he's tall, dark, handsome, charming, but, not a louse. He's had very few confirmed partners, and all of them less problematic than almost any Cyclops or Wolverine have had. Who would his most problematic one be? Candra? I suppose Genevieve? He's a guy who married his high school sweetheart Belladonna, and only left her to prevent a war, had very few confirmed sexual trysts, and then dated Rogue for years. He's a charmer, not a louse.
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 03:36:34 PM »

No sense in lamenting what could have been, but I will always mourn the Jean/Remy opportunity that was passed on. Polaris after that...maybe? She seemed a bit mean. Maybe he’d been better off with Danger. They had a vibe. Anyone else an Almost Coulda Been?
Me too. Especially when Gambit sent Jean a message using what part of his 'charm' allowed him to send cards (and more than one, even if the same card) to her. I think it was a missed opportunity too.

And I always wanted Gambit and Polaris to hook up, I don't think she was always meant to be mean though she was cold. I chalk that up to the writer.

As others have said, Gambit isn't a sleaze. He's a flirt, a charming, handsome, charismatic, magnetic guy who COULD have a girl every night, that every woman kinda secretly wishes she could have a one off fling with, he's tall, dark, handsome, charming, but, not a louse. He's had very few confirmed partners, and all of them less problematic than almost any Cyclops or Wolverine have had. Who would his most problematic one be? Candra? I suppose Genevieve? He's a guy who married his high school sweetheart Belladonna, and only left her to prevent a war, had very few confirmed sexual trysts, and then dated Rogue for years. He's a charmer, not a louse.
Agreed 100%. He was never a womanizer, he was some serious eye candy for women and they liked what they saw. He always was respectful in my view.

edit: for specifics on the cards.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 05:10:39 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2021, 08:33:45 AM »

Well there was Frenzy. But they had a past. I think it would have been better for them to foster a good friendship. Not much else you could do after the way what's-his-face wrote him freaking out after they kissed.

Cecelia was a fan fab possibly that went nowhere. I think the Polaris-thing is something fans wanted across the board. It was hinted at in at least two runs but ended much like the Frenzy (@&#& you, PAD). Of course there's the Sage-thing that was oddly dangled in front of us.

I agree, Jean obviously had the hots for him (see X-Men #1). Possibly even Mystique by the way she was always screwing with him - once or twice literally if that twin tease from Astonishing is to be taken seriously.

Black Cat could have been a fun friends with benefits. Would have been fun to see him pop up more in Spiderman... Not just his lore randomly being borrowed over there.

I say it again, I wish they explored the idea of Rogue's initial attraction to him possibly being influenced by one or more other borrowed personality traits, namely Danvers - but that's an unfounded personal wish of mine.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2021, 12:38:03 PM »

Well there was Frenzy. But they had a past. I think it would have been better for them to foster a good friendship. Not much else you could do after the way what's-his-face wrote him freaking out after they kissed.

Cecelia was a fan fab possibly that went nowhere. I think the Polaris-thing is something fans wanted across the board. It was hinted at in at least two runs but ended much like the Frenzy (@&#& you, PAD). Of course there's the Sage-thing that was oddly dangled in front of us.

Oooh, yeah. I'd have liked to see G climb the tree that is Frenzy.

I'd forgot CeCe. Really, I was on board with G being with whoever, but it shows that the chemistry wasn't there in regards to Ms. Reyes. Though for him to go from someone he couldn't touch physically to someone who literally has an impregnable barrier as her power is not lost on me. Poor G has a type.

Sage! That would've been hawt.

And poor Belle, set up to get killed and then they bring her back just to make her into a trope. Insane jealous ex-girlfriend. I was glad to see her in Mr. & Mrs. X as not being a total psycho.

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2021, 02:55:40 PM »

Cecelia was a fan fab possibly that went nowhere. I think the Polaris-thing is something fans wanted across the board.
Cece and Gambit never really had chemistry IMO. They always felt like a clumsy fanfiction couple. A writer just putting his/her two favourite characters together. But that may have just been down to the writing. I've never been a fan of Liu's Gambit or of her comic book writing in general.

I'm actually glad Gambit/Polaris didn't happen. Just because they would have reeked of "couple they're just throwing together because he's a man and she's a woman". We all knew Gambit/Rogue and Polaris/Havok are endgame for the writers. So that pairing always seemed particularly pointless to me. Complete lack of any real emotional stakes.

Quote from:
Black Cat could have been a fun friends with benefits. Would have been fun to see him pop up more in Spiderman... Not just his lore randomly being borrowed over there.
Now, Black Cat would have been very exciting. They're both thieves with flirty personalities and an affinity for danger. I would actually love to see them interact in the MCU. Maybe she could appear in the Gambit D+ series?

I also agree about writers using characters from Gambit's stories. It's hilarious how Gambit's side characters are interesting enough to appear in other books and help them out, but somehow we are supposed to believe that Gambit himself isn't interesting enough to merit better stories and appearances. Yeah, okay. That makes perfect sense...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 03:01:00 PM by hairlesscat »

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2021, 12:51:28 PM »
Gambit and Cecilia Reyes (who isn't a very interesting character, IMP) had the most boring relationship ever. It came out of nowhere, they were totally incompatible and Gambit was too nice (my only issue with Liu's Gambit). I'm glad it didn't turn into a romantic relationship.

I would've loved to see Gambit romantically involved with some relevant character(s), and it should be hot not boring.   

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2021, 04:11:18 PM »
There was that date with Patsy Walker aka Hellcat that she completely tricked him into taking her out to dinner after frustrating him to no end verbally.

I think I would have been amused if it was a character I was at vaguely familiar with. I think it was suppose to be a different character and editorial changed it.

Guess its time for the 2021 thread. LOL   Which had been done, I used Dec 31st content to roll this thread. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 09:14:31 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2021, 05:43:27 PM »
... they were totally incompatible and Gambit was too nice (my only issue with Liu's Gambit).
THIS! Liu's Gambit is like a can of soda someone forgot to carbonate.

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2021, 10:38:31 AM »
I don't know what people saw in Gambit being with Frenzy (she's not a likable character), Cece (she was boring) or Polaris (what real history did they have before he joined that team?). I heard that Claremont wanted to do a love-triangle with Gambit and Jean... but I hate love-triangles, they always become pointless and it doesn't do the characters, who are adults, any favors to be written as teenagers. Gambit and Sage always got along, they had good chemistry, she clearly enjoined kissing him, although she did have other reasons for doing that and I'm not sure that relationship would go very far.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 04:28:26 AM by RomeoSvengali »
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2021, 01:10:50 PM »

Oooh, yeah. I'd have liked to see G climb the tree that is Frenzy.

Sage! That would've been hawt.

And poor Belle, set up to get killed and then they bring her back just to make her into a trope. Insane jealous ex-girlfriend. I was glad to see her in Mr. & Mrs. X as not being a total psycho.
He actually already climbed Frenzy. Under the 'mighty pen' of Gage, it was confirmed in dialogue that they had more fun in the past and did more than kiss then wrote him freaking out after they shared a drunken kiss. Lame.

Sage did like kissing him a lot and I think Claremont meant to a triangle before XXM ended. The covers certainly alluded to something that was never followed up beyond fixing his powers.

I've always liked Belle, even if she was crazy sometimes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:24:26 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2021, 05:40:12 PM »
Years ago during his X-factor stint, I halfway worked up a Gambit/Polaris dark comedy toxic relationship piece re-working a JLA fight between Fire and a Gambit clone...wonder if I can find that anywhere....
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"