Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 63119 times)

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2021, 08:38:29 PM »
I always liked the idea of Gambit and Polaris together. Not exactly sure why but I did. I never really saw Gambit and Jean together but if they did it I'd be open to it. Jeez Jean would have all the alpha males vying for her.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2021, 09:38:55 AM »
So... in Claremont anniversary special Gambit is possessive by the Shadow King nearly his whole appearance  :(

Online purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2021, 11:15:01 AM »
Don't buy Claremont special if you want to read it for Gambit fix. It is bad

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2021, 05:58:22 PM »
So... in Claremont anniversary special Gambit is possessive by the Shadow King nearly his whole appearance  :(
There is so much wrong with this. I can't.

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2021, 09:43:13 PM »
What else is new.

NicoPony

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2021, 08:31:02 AM »
And I always wanted Gambit and Polaris to hook up, I don't think she was always meant to be mean though she was cold.

I'm surprised at you! Polaris threw one of his cats into a wall! MEAN!

Also that's a DEAL BREAKER. Sorry, I'm 'shipping Gambit/Danger now. Yup, she has more personality and when he kissed her, didn't get into a snit about it. Was properly grateful.

Maybe Remy is just into mean women. I'm sure the writers intend for them to be "assertive" but I don't think they get it right. I just read "b***hy." Maybe that's internal bias I need to work on.

He actually already climbed Frenzy. Under the 'mighty pen' of Gage, it was confirmed in dialogue that they had more fun in the past and did more than kiss then wrote him freaking out after they shared a drunken kiss. Lame.

I thought the Frenzy relationship was established much earlier? I seem to recall her throwing at tire at him --- as you do when you run into your ex on the street.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2021, 09:27:15 AM »
I've never thrown a tire at an Ex. Sounds like fun, though.
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2021, 10:07:29 AM »
I don’t remember exactly, but I think PAD was doing something with polarization s dealing with bipolar disorder (hence why some of her behavior). It was a long time ago so I won’t swear to that.

I think the problem with cecelia was it was too rushed and too drawn out at the same time, lol. When astonishing started, they were already off panel super close, going to dinner every week, etc. so it was like they were already seriously dating, but not... Then the gambit solo hit and I guess Liu thought she couldn’t really write a ‘sell’ a serious relationship in astonishing when he was globetrotting around in the solo. So it stayed in the wired limbo holding pattern, with him as the perfect boyfriend, but not a boyfriend... it didn’t help that there wasn’t much chemistry l, so the readers (and other writers) weren’t clamoring for more.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2021, 10:58:35 AM »

I'm surprised at you! Polaris threw one of his cats into a wall! MEAN!

Also that's a DEAL BREAKER. Sorry, I'm 'shipping Gambit/Danger now. Yup, she has more personality and when he kissed her, didn't get into a snit about it. Was properly grateful.
Aging - I forgot about that. I get it, deal breaker and it would be for me but I still would have wanted that relationship. Her fans were holding on to Havok. Maybe I saw Gambit as the guy to mellow her, instead of the sap we got now kissing Rogue's ass. (I'll always be in the anyone better than Rogue camp. How about dropping her off in Antarctica for a bit. heh heh)

Maybe Remy is just into mean women. I'm sure the writers intend for them to be "assertive" but I don't think they get it right. I just read "b***hy." Maybe that's internal bias I need to work on.
Maybe, he is married to Rogue.  LOL There is nothing likable about her for me. She is written to treat him like s*** so ... there you go.

I thought the Frenzy relationship was established much earlier? I seem to recall her throwing at tire at him --- as you do when you run into your ex on the street.
Yeah it was and alluded to in the animated series but never confirmed until the Mighty Pen Gage.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 12:19:42 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2021, 11:01:49 AM »

I don't know what people saw in Gambit being with Frenzy (she's not a likable character), Cece (she was boring) or Polaris (what real history did they have before he joined that team?). I heard that Claremont wanted to do a love-triangle with Gambit and Jean... but I hate love-triangles, they always become pointless and it doesn't do the characters, who are adults, any favors to be written as teenagers. Gambit and Sage always got along, they had good chemistry, she clearly enjoined kissing him, although she did have other reasons for doing that and I'm not sure that relationship would go very far.

Frenzy is actually one of my favorite "newer" X-Men... so, I disagree with the "[un] likable character" thing. She's got more depth than most of the main X-Men, who more often than not stay with the team, not because they believe in the dream, per se, but because they need help or have nowhere else to go. Like Gambit and a handful of others, Frenzy chose to become an X-Man after feeling what it was like to be needed and be a hero during Age of X. She's natural adrenaline junky that just so happened to get her fix from doing "bad things". Once she got a taste of something else, she ran with that. It's why she became the JGS head of security (to protect the young mutants there, also why she was the first one to confront the Avengers in AvX), or why she allowed herself to be used as a martyr in hopes of the Inhumans using their resources to cure the T-mist cloud. On a smaller scale, she led a resistance team during that time Captain America was a Nazi (the @#@$ were they thinking).

The taste of heroism also came with heartache as she chose to hold onto the memories from AoX - which included a "marriage" to that universe's Basilisk, our Cyclops. At the moment she's serving as Krakoa's intergalactic ambassador in SWORD.

I mean, your welcome to like or dislike whomever you want - people like Fantomex, and John Campea thinks "no one" wants to see a Batman Beyond movie - but just generally saying "she's not a likable character" is a bit unfair. Indifferent - I could get. She basically disappeared after Carey/Gage runs. What's unlikeable about her? Personally, that's the first time I heard someone say that.Probably because she's as niche a character as Marvel has made Gambit... because I suppose they don't like money.To be honest - as a match for Gambit - I don't recall anyone rooting for it. They made mention of past history, kissed (twice actually) and that was that. Didn't know there was a following. I think most of us had issues with how Gambit uncharacteristically spazzed out afterward. But those were the Racky-years.

The Polaris-thing was a one-sided crush IN the books. She had a Gambit-look-a-like stripper at her bachelorette party. So, it was more fan-service /callback. Outside of the book, some of us just found it funny due to the whole Magneto connection. He did try to remove his head from his body as a distraction. As of X-Factor it's canon that Gambit is overall tired of "Magneto and his family" screwing around in his life.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2021, 11:07:49 AM »
I don’t remember exactly, but I think PAD was doing something with polarization s dealing with bipolar disorder (hence why some of her behavior). It was a long time ago so I won’t swear to that.

That would have been interesting if there was actually space on the page. 20 pages isn't enough to do anything.
I think the problem with cecelia was it was too rushed and too drawn out at the same time, lol. When astonishing started, they were already off panel super close, going to dinner every week, etc. so it was like they were already seriously dating, but not... Then the gambit solo hit and I guess Liu thought she couldn’t really write a ‘sell’ a serious relationship in astonishing when he was globetrotting around in the solo. So it stayed in the wired limbo holding pattern, with him as the perfect boyfriend, but not a boyfriend... it didn’t help that there wasn’t much chemistry l, so the readers (and other writers) weren’t clamoring for more.
Good way to see it. So much stuff off panel, no story telling beyond the fight of the day.
Remember when writers wrote character stories? LOL
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 12:43:29 PM by Nekobaghira »

NicoPony

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2021, 12:59:33 PM »
Frenzy is actually one of my favorite "newer" X-Men... so, I disagree with the "[un] likable character" thing. She's got more depth than most of the main X-Men, who more often than not stay with the team, not because they believe in the dream, per se, but because they need help or have nowhere else to go. Like Gambit and a handful of others, Frenzy chose to become an X-Man after feeling what it was like to be needed and be a hero during Age of X. She's natural adrenaline junky that just so happened to get her fix from doing "bad things". Once she got a taste of something else, she ran with that. It's why she became the JGS head of security (to protect the young mutants there, also why she was the first one to confront the Avengers in AvX), or why she allowed herself to be used as a martyr in hopes of the Inhumans using their resources to cure the T-mist cloud. On a smaller scale, she led a resistance team during that time Captain America was a Nazi (the @#@$ were they thinking).

100% agree. 0% disagree. I think she's a great character. Unlike a lot of remade characters, she's actually experienced a more natural growth as a believable character. I like that she is guarded of her feelings, is combative, that she's not a cheesecake pinup, she's vaguely androgynous (with the exception of that anime-looking garbage phase from the 1990s where all the women looked like size zeros with balloon breasts). She also believes things strongly. I think she's a badass. And she has a soft spot for Remy, so you know deep down she might have a passionate side. Or maybe, no one is immune to Gambit's charms!

The only problem I have with her ... is what is with that powder blue suit she's wearing? NO. Her role of ambassador is already doomed based on that outfit.

Her new hair is da sex tho. Hawt.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2021, 11:16:20 AM »
The suit is alright, the eyeshadow is terrible. ;) Her hair is awesome

Online purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2021, 09:01:01 AM »
Gambit got updated moves and skills for Future fight game.

https://youtu.be/I5TlRkWoYIU

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 07:53:50 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2021, 01:35:05 PM »
I don’t know what that means, but it looks cool, lol. Are those other characters getting updates too?