Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 62000 times)

NicoPony

Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #210 on: May 27, 2021, 10:06:18 AM »

Don`t want to be a negative one but I don`t expect anything good for Gambit at all. Hickman marked characters that he wants to use. Remy is not one of them.

yeah yeah i know. it's going to be the same five characters featured in every major storyline regarding "the fate of mutantkind." but it's fun to imagine how easily Gambit could play in this storyline.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #211 on: May 27, 2021, 10:35:40 AM »

yeah yeah i know. it's going to be the same five characters featured in every major storyline regarding "the fate of mutantkind." but it's fun to imagine how easily Gambit could play in this storyline.

Yeah, I agree. The only hope is that some writer would want to write Gambit and get him for a new project. Like Duggan chose Rogue for his new X-Men team. If Hickman continued to write a new X-Men team then it would be for sure Monet on team instead of Rogue like in HOX POX and even Swords of X event.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #212 on: May 27, 2021, 11:15:55 AM »
Nico- I thought he destroyed the diaries in Messiah Complex, I think? When he was with Sinister pretending to be a maurader. He acted like it was an accident because another maurader threw off his aim

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #213 on: May 27, 2021, 01:29:11 PM »

Yeah, I agree. The only hope is that some writer would want to write Gambit and get him for a new project. Like Duggan chose Rogue for his new X-Men team. If Hickman continued to write a new X-Men team then it would be for sure Monet on team instead of Rogue like in HOX POX and even Swords of X event.

Probably would have been a half-decent X-Men team - the strike team from HoX;

Cyclops
Jean
Wolverine
Nightcrawler
Mystique
Archangel
M
Husk

Still don't understand why Archangel and Husk were there. I don't see how wings help inside of a space station and I'm sure there are X-Men with more experience than Husk. This was a "wet-work"/ demolition mission. I don't see how she was going to be useful with her mentality. M is a multi-tool but again - I think there were others available. Colossus (walking tank that can withstand the vacuum of space and extreme heat), Magik (teleporting sociopath, great escape plan), and Iceman (could probably take down the whole facility, and survive in space while in ice-form... probably wouldn't fare well outside that close to the sun, though) probably would have been more useful.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #214 on: May 28, 2021, 03:27:57 PM »
Nico- I thought he destroyed the diaries in Messiah Complex, I think? When he was with Sinister pretending to be a maurader. He acted like it was an accident because another maurader threw off his aim

Yes, that’s what I vaguely remember too. 2007, me and Marvel Comics were ON A BREAK at the time.

Leah Williams will need something to do after Magneto’s Trial. Shrugs.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 01:28:59 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #215 on: May 31, 2021, 02:25:33 PM »
So, I put up a poll in a FB X-Men group I joined just to see where everyones head is at. It's 17k group. I ask what characters are most miss-casted in the books and by far Gambit is in the lead.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WeLoveTheXmen/permalink/2986524471604990/
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Online Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2021, 02:09:18 PM »
Good grief.

So much lack of Gambit, we'll have too read fanfic.  :crazy2:

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #217 on: June 02, 2021, 02:36:48 PM »
Good grief.

So much lack of Gambit, we'll have too read fanfic.  :crazy2:

AppleJ wrote this a couple months back. Thought it was pretty good.

https://www.archiveofourown.org/works/28944381

NicoPony

« Reply #218 on: June 02, 2021, 06:14:40 PM »

AppleJ wrote this a couple months back. Thought it was pretty good.

https://www.archiveofourown.org/works/28944381

I love that story. It is ::chef’s kiss::

I’ve been digging EightyTwo’s MMX series. https://www.fanfiction.net/u/14850532/EightyTwo

Don’t think there’s been any Gambit sans Rogue stories written since 2015. Unless you want Gambit/Pietro stories....

admin edit for crazy site formatting. Silly site. Neko
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 06:20:34 PM by Nekobaghira »

Online Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #219 on: June 02, 2021, 06:16:04 PM »
NicoPony has works on AO3 too.

https://archiveofourown.org/users/NicoPony
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 08:11:50 AM by Nekobaghira »

NicoPony

« Reply #220 on: June 03, 2021, 07:49:22 AM »
The Gala event kicked off yesterday. I heard that there was some ROMY wallpaper in a few panels, but since I only tune in to Hellions, I didn't see it. It makes sense Gambit would avoid Sinister at a party.

I did have an epiphany though.

Krakoa is an allegory for the COVID Pandemic.

Mutants living in isolation.
Trapped with family members they are completely sick of seeing.
Nothing has happened for a year.
Birth rate plummets (sorry Gambit, no babies for you).
No available childcare (sorry Jubes, no telling the long-term impact on Shogo's development will be).
Alcohol consumption increases (Tiki bar anyone? It's 10 am somewhere).
Nothing to do but get horned up watching Bridgerton.
Rise in autocratic leadership.
Election held that a quarter of the population will claim to be fraudulent.
A big party turns into a super-spreader event (Beast does not follow proper hand-washing procedure).
The event is a costume party where everyone shows up dressed as a version of the Tiger King.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE TO ME NOW.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #221 on: June 03, 2021, 08:43:52 AM »
The Gala event kicked off yesterday. I heard that there was some ROMY wallpaper in a few panels, but since I only tune in to Hellions, I didn't see it. It makes sense Gambit would avoid Sinister at a party.

To that same effect, you'd think the same thing about Apocalypse too? I can see why he stuck around. Rogue was in "hurt" but what reason would he want to stay around him, and by extension his wife? You think if I had beef with some dude, my wife would be like: "Cool honey, do your thing - but I'm going to stick around and see what happens". That's not a failing of the character or franchise. That's a writer forcing a narrative and editorial staff not caring enough to pull back annoyingly inaccurate ideas that just don't work.

I never liked the fact that historically the X-Men have only by one demo - but I understood it - at least to a point. The hobby was vastly supported and patronized by a specific demographic. If only that demo is reading - chances are the same demo would end up producing it later. That makes sense with anything. Music genre, food, etc. But that hasn't been the case for a couple of decades now. I know for a fact people from all walks and ilks have pitched to write the X-Men - mostly after XTAS created millions of new reading fans (something the movies never did). Yet somehow the X-Men didn't get their first full-time woman writer until Liu's 2012 books (X-23 & Astonishing X-Men) and black writer until 2019 with Bryan E Hill.

To their credit - they did employ Fabian Nicieza heavily from the 90s into the 00s. You might be able to argue the pool was shallow in the 90s - but until the 10s? At this point, it's not a shallow talent pool problem - it's hiring habits. People naturally put on people that they know - and people tend to know others similar to themselves. That's why HR is supposed to step in to make sure this doesn't become a trend, esp in large corporations. This problem continues today in comics.

Why I bring all this up? Simple. For the word "overcorrection". Marvel isn't stupid. It's not hard to stand back and look at the company and see that this inclusion and diversity effort is new territory for them. Before they got jumped on they took what arguably is their biggest franchise and flooded it with individuals that would better suit their narrative. I have zero problems with people getting a shot at the big stage. That's not the issue at all. It's who they are choosing. It's not their aspects that has me shaking my head - it's their backgrounds and track records. Some of these writers have either little or no experience in these types of books - and what they do have tends to be middling, at best. Most of them are decent writers but it appears, no one is saying "no" to some of the less inspired story ideas.

It's no wonder why these characters are written the way they are - as if the person behind the pen doesn't understand them or isn't being properly directed. Or perhaps, they're doing exactly what's intended. Who knows? But the stories we're getting don't feel like they are coming from imaginations birthed from comics. Most of this feels like the result of watching a lot of XTAS or other shows like Wix and then writing fan-fiction based on those impressions. Then we're returning to "people hiring people that they know" instead of it being based on resumes.

This is why we get stories where we see one of the X-Men's most agile characters falling in a hole or sliding uncontrolled down a hill.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 10:23:39 AM by DonPriceTag »

NicoPony

« Reply #222 on: June 03, 2021, 05:00:07 PM »
I know at my place of business - out in the middle of no-where white red-hat midwest - our hiring pool is limited. Certainly, there's been a push towards diversity (as long as that diversity is 40 and under, but that's another issue). But you can only attract so much talent to Amish Country.

Part of the solve was having diverse voices on a panel to review work. What comes out of our agencies is reviewed with that lens in mind. Trying to overcome our lack of diversity by having a sounding board of people who have fresh perspectives and are actually experts and have the theory and education. The end result ultimately is more consistent.

I dunno.

Preview for Excalibur. Gambit is wallpaper, as expected. Sexy wallpaper. God I hate Rictor.

https://www.comicsxf.com/2021/06/03/captain-britain-makes-a-splash-in-our-preview-of-excalibur-21/

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #223 on: June 03, 2021, 05:47:39 PM »
This frustraiting preview shows in 2 pages most problems why this book is such a hot garbage. It is super important Betsy and ... Blah, blah Excalibur team that noone cares about.Wallpaper Gambit without dialogue.Rogue with non important lines to show like she is doing at least something.Everything should be about Apoc even when he is not in book. Annoying Rictor with forced obsession that is just stupid.Jubs with Shogo symbiot.But art is beautiful as always. To deserves better.

erased some site formatting - DonP
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 06:00:18 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2021, 06:01:12 PM »
...Jubs with Shogo symbiot.But art is beautiful as always...

Shogo symbiote!  ;D ;D