Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61835 times)

Online Sparta

• X-Man Ally
Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #240 on: June 14, 2021, 12:21:47 PM »
Well, I guess we'll at least see Gambit drawn by Pepe Larraz when he cameos in 'X-Men'. As long as he's not teaming up with the Hamburglar again.

Offline andrei

• Guild Member
« Reply #241 on: June 15, 2021, 08:45:14 AM »
you know... even knowing Tini has some plans for Gambit alone, does any of you get excited about it?

NicoPony

« Reply #242 on: June 15, 2021, 11:24:53 AM »
you know... even knowing Tini has some plans for Gambit alone, does any of you get excited about it?

I have doubts about her ability to deliver on these ‘plans,’ and if they occur it will be off-panel. The “I have stuff I want to keep doing” part is the clue. Keep doing what exactly? Stringing us along?

No doubt if she does do something, we’ll just go from complaining about her doing nothing to doing it all wrong.  ;)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #243 on: June 15, 2021, 02:16:25 PM »
https://aiptcomics.com/2021/06/14/x-men-monday-110-hellfire-gala-week-2/

AIPT: Speaking of X-Couples, X-Fan Kristen said Gambit and Rogue have been side by side since their wedding. Now, they’ll be transitioning into having an extreme work life/home life shift to the point they largely will not be living together. How did the decision play out to put them in different books? And similarly, X-Fan Scott Evans asked if the X-Men Election caused Tini Howard to have to change her plans for Excalibur.

Jordan: It wasn’t a real election. [Laughs] There was only the one character that got actually elected in real life — we just picked who was going to be on the team for those other six characters. So you know, when we started planning the book, Gerry was like, “Hey, I’d like to use Rogue.” And Tini was like, “Cool, that sounds neat.” And that was long enough ago that Tini didn’t have to blow anything up.

As for Gambit, there was some back and forth on that, actually. Like, what should happen to him? If Rogue is going to join the X-Men, should he go live there as like, a little househusband or what? And there, Tini was like, “Actually I do have stuff I would want to keep doing with Gambit and I think it makes sense for him to stay here in Excalibur and do these things.” And we went great, it’s not a problem. And don’t forget, this is Krakoa, they have gates. They can walk from New York to England…

AIPT: X-Fan Emmanuel Boyd pointed out that Gambit revealed he has his own plans. What can you tease about these plans and how soon might we see them?

Jordan: Keep reading, keep reading. It’s in Excalibur. Tini, like I said, does have stuff in the hopper for Gambit. And it’s going to be playing out there. So if you want to see what mischief Gambit’s up to, that’s the place to look. Although, they’re husband and wife. So he makes appearances in other places. He will appear at least a little bit in X-Men. I’m not saying he’s in every issue of X-Men, but I do know there’s at least a scene in X-Men that I’ve seen drawn already that is pretty great.

@@$#$.... @#@$#@%#... #$@... #%@#%@!
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #244 on: June 15, 2021, 02:20:07 PM »
"househusband?"

Gambit's not unemployed and they don't have children. Pets are not children. I know ya'll love your cats - but they are cats. Not human beings. You leave them alone all the time because they can fend for themselves better than any of us if left alone. You don't leave kids by themselves. Not the same thing. How and why would Gambit end up as a "househusband"? Why are they pretending Gambit as a character is rudderless without Rogue?

#@$@, no.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 02:22:53 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2021, 03:41:26 PM »
"househusband?"

Worse than that, “little househusband.” Having cats makes no difference, you can still be a housewife or househusband kids or no kids. Household management is a fine occupation, I have myself spent time in this pursuit. But not ideal for a comic book superhero.

Man, I used to want to be Gambit. Attractive, gift of gab, athletic. Now Gambit is me, has too many cats, doesn’t leave the house, falls down for no reason.

Excalibur #22 cover. Gambit looks how I feel about this book. Tired, and just kinda like:why?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E377b08XIAEqzTd?format=jpg&name=large

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2021, 03:54:59 PM »
How disappointing that Tini Howard still has Gambit in her clutches when it is clear she doesn't know a thing about him.
I'm worried about what's in the 'hopper'.

Househusband is bulls*** for this character.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2021, 04:43:55 PM »
The annoying thing is they would never say this the other way. Imagine the flack a writer would get for saying something like, "Oh maybe Rogue should just be a housewife now." While Gambit is off adventuring. The headlines and twitter mobs would be going ape.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2021, 05:06:06 PM »
The annoying thing is they would never say this the other way. Imagine the flack a writer would get for saying something like, "Oh maybe Rogue should just be a housewife now." While Gambit is off adventuring. The headlines and twitter mobs would be going ape.
Agreed. I almost said the same thing. Gambit has been emasculated and its hard to support him in any book when you can't recognize the character that was once so much more than he is now.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #249 on: June 15, 2021, 05:48:58 PM »

Worse than that, “little househusband.” Having cats makes no difference, you can still be a housewife or househusband kids or no kids. Household management is a fine occupation, I have myself spent time in this pursuit. But not ideal for a comic book superhero.

Man, I used to want to be Gambit. Attractive, gift of gab, athletic. Now Gambit is me, has too many cats, doesn’t leave the house, falls down for no reason.

Excalibur #22 cover. Gambit looks how I feel about this book. Tired, and just kinda like:why?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E377b08XIAEqzTd?format=jpg&name=large

My point wasn't about the role of "housewife" or "househusband". Both exist.

It was the logic of "WHAT THE @#@$" for Gambit. The @#!@ does that even mean? Why was that even a thought in the head of an X-Men writer?

And I'm used to the lackluster art of Gambit in the books. It's like they go out of their way to make him look as uninteresting and dull as possible. It's like... they don't like money?

Rumor is Tini is the main creative mind of the X-Men outside of projects directly produced by Hickman. Lord save us... or not. And I can start saving my money. It's the direction I'm heading in.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 05:54:36 PM by DonPriceTag »

NicoPony

« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2021, 06:23:52 PM »

It was the logic of "WHAT THE @#@$" for Gambit. The @#!@ does that even mean? Why was that even a thought in the head of an X-Men writer?

Apologies for agreeing with you, as I said, househusband isn’t a role for a superhero anyone wants to read about. the snide “little househusband” comment is insulting. Insulting to the character, his fans, and actual househusbands, bc it comes across as it being a bad thing.

Honestly, I thought that was the concept Marvel writers were going for with Gambit. Gambit says to Rogue, let’s build a house, she says: I’d rather go back to work. She says: I don’t want a family, he says your body your choices. He supports her in all things, then sends her off to work with a kiss and a bagged lunch. I thought the writers were presenting with an example of a male hero we haven’t really seen before. not that I like it at all, the relationship is totally one sided and not the least bit reciprocal. So I am confused by the ‘little househusband’ comment, was that not the character they were building, the direction they were going? And that’s ignoring the food prep, the cat maintenance and the hair brushing.

If I were braver on Twitter, I’d go out and suggest it. Okay Remy, just go sit over there stay quiet and look pretty. Also, you have no shirt. Boop.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2021, 07:01:56 PM »
Not worth the mobs and how easily upset they become at the injustice of Rogue being a housewife.

Why its seen as some horrible thing, I don't know.
Women do domestic stuff all the time. Some are even creative by calling it domestic engineering.

At this point, Gambit is a trophy husband with no character. The traits given after he was created is long gone.

NicoPony

« Reply #252 on: June 16, 2021, 07:33:52 AM »
Not worth the mobs and how easily upset they become at the injustice of Rogue being a housewife.

Why its seen as some horrible thing, I don't know.
Women do domestic stuff all the time. Some are even creative by calling it domestic engineering.

At this point, Gambit is a trophy husband with no character. The traits given after he was created is long gone.

You're right, not worth entering the fake outrage discourse, because it's not offensive to call someone a home-maker. And an insulting "little house-husband" comment doesn't really compare equally to the multigenerational struggle to overcome gender bias and assigned female gender-based roles. So even saying: "if we said this about Rogue people would be mad." Well, it's not really apples to apples, is it? No one is going to weep tears of unfairness over so-called reverse sexism. Because they shouldn't.

But it is snarkily amusing to me that while Marvel is being all into representation, diversity, and "wokeness," the derogatory use of calling someone a little home-maker slipped out during an interview. Hey, dude, maybe check your own internal biases. Maybe have a safe space set up so you and the other writers can talk about the real reasons Gambit triggers you.

It's not really about gender/sex/emasculation. It's more about a formerly "problematic" character being Sanitized for Our Protection. He was more fun being problematic. Now Gambit is boring AF.

And the Trophy Husband - lol, true. Because Tini made sure to add that Rogue will be entitled to conjugal visits while Gambit is in the Prison of Excalibur. Thanks SO MUCH for the single panel to clear that issue up, you know it was my top-most concern about when Rogue was gonna get some.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #253 on: June 16, 2021, 12:42:31 PM »
It is reverse sexism.

Since TH supports the LGBT+ community, you'd think she would be smarter in her answers. You would think she would know better than to label. Is the comment some sort of 'shaming'? In the world of woke, something to think about.

I agree about the stripping down Gambit's character. He is not only boring, he's replaceable with anybody.

TV  handles problematic characters all the time and gain much love from fans with them I don't know why comic books are what they are now.

I may edit my comments, the world of woke scares me into silence.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #254 on: June 16, 2021, 02:34:40 PM »
It is reverse sexism.

Since TH supports the LGBT+ community, you'd think she would be smarter in her answers. You would think she would know better than to label. Is the comment some sort of 'shaming'? In the world of woke, something to think about.

I agree about the stripping down Gambit's character. He is not only boring, he's replaceable with anybody.

TV  handles problematic characters all the time and gain much love from fans with them I don't know why comic books are what they are now.

I may edit my comments, the world of woke scares me into silence.

Nothing you said needs to be censored. We've discussed this before. A lot of the reasons people don't like Gambit stems from their weird obsession with Rogue during the 90s and the fact that he was so popular over characters like Nightcrawler, Kitty, and Colossus - 3 characters that continuously get pushes despite barely having a fandom behind them. Those fans have become creators over the last 15 years and now they can push through their ideas of what the X-Men are - damn what the consumer is interested in. Duggan literally said they are writing stories for each other. Not us. Over the years, they made Gambit jokes in interviews and panels so much that it became commonplace - so others just piled on in this "clique" mean-girls fashion in a very high school-like manor.

Marvel likes making money and sought to correct the image of a proven money-maker with Asmus' run - and he did a pretty good job, despite being denied use of characters and blocked story ideas. 17-issues strong in which sales only dropped once we found out the book was ending. Originally, it was only meant to be a 12-issue run, but it was doing well. All that work to have the entire effort belittled by PAD and then flat-out ignored by every other writer besides Kelly Thompson (who could have done more with it, honestly). With Gambit's established position, he should be anything but "boring".

He should be heavily used in current-day X-Men, almost across the board, and the fact that he isn't at all but running around Otherworld - has to be an intentional effort or due to pure ignorance. It just doesn't make sense that Kitty, Iceman, and Bishop are "pirates" mixed up in the black market - but Gambit gets to fall into holes and get saved by Rictor who's all of a sudden a master gymnast.