Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61792 times)

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #330 on: July 22, 2021, 01:09:26 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I don't have any kind of burning desire to know Gambit's parentage. I am perfectly fine with that facet of his life remaining a mystery.

NicoPony

« Reply #331 on: July 22, 2021, 02:51:27 PM »
I recently re-read Asmus' series and I actually came away liking it more. The pity-party stuff was lame, but him giving Tombstone a hard time was truly a treat. I seem to remember the same as Purp, Asmus' hands were tied.

Meh, the data page ended up being something else. Sinister is experimenting on himself, his favorite subject. FabNic was setting it up like Sinister might have some kind of empathy/humanity towards Gambit way back when, but that ship has long sailed. By this time, I'm sure Essex just feels Gambit is a nuisance. Every time Gambit is around, all Sinister's s*** gets broke.

Him being an unwanted baby is enough of a backstory considering the rest of the guild stuff is cuckoo bananas as it is. Not that I'm not totally into cuckoo bananas.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #332 on: July 22, 2021, 04:50:54 PM »
I think I read somewhere that CC gets paid whether he writes a book or not.

Having write Gambit would be a nice change from the current crop of writers.

That is true. He's paid like a figurehead/ consultant and gets that money regardless if he does anything or not. I figure it's also to keep him from going to other companies or having too much freedom to critique the company - so like a running NDA. Think of how voicing his displeasure could affect comic sales.

I recently re-read Asmus' series and I actually came away liking it more. The pity-party stuff was lame, but him giving Tombstone a hard time was truly a treat. I seem to remember the same as Purp, Asmus' hands were tied.

Meh, the data page ended up being something else. Sinister is experimenting on himself, his favorite subject. FabNic was setting it up like Sinister might have some kind of empathy/humanity towards Gambit way back when, but that ship has long sailed. By this time, I'm sure Essex just feels Gambit is a nuisance. Every time Gambit is around, all Sinister's s*** gets broke.

Him being an unwanted baby is enough of a backstory considering the rest of the guild stuff is cuckoo bananas as it is. Not that I'm not totally into cuckoo bananas.

Yep. Purp is right. He revealed in an interview that all the stories we read were 3rd, 4th, and even 5th choice and he was severely limited in the characters he could use. This is why the Avengers were there - but they didn't have any dialog. Or why Gambit was robbing Iron Man but had to fight War Machine. It doesn't make any sense. These are comic character - they don't have schedules or agents. All that could have gotten in the way was ego and comic office heads getting in their feelings about characters in their wheelhouse being used outside of it... But it's ok for the Thieves Guild to be used in Spiderman, but not for Spiderman characters to be used in X-Men? Or how the Phoenix Force is just open for the whole company to utilize now. This was all pre-Disney ownership of Fox. I doubt this would be a problem today - even ignoring how Dan Slott overwrote Franklin Richards being a mutant a few months ago because: reasons.

Very annoying.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 04:52:40 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline thjan

• Guild Member
« Reply #333 on: July 22, 2021, 06:04:30 PM »

I am more than okay with Claremont writing a Gambit solo, even if it is set in the past.  I have always wanted a Claremont written story where Gambit is the undisputed star and main character.

Although same as NicoPony I would hope he won't try to push the Gambit as Sinister experiment thing.  Not a fan of that.  Also, I am expecting Gambit to be in a suit of some kind for this story, sigh.  Not a big fan of that either, but Claremont seems obsessed with putting him in one now.

Quote from: andresa
At this point I just want someone to take Gambit away from the hands of that awful untalented Excalibur writer. Warping Gambit's powers is not character development.

Agreed. I know sites are going crazy over these feats and fans are trying to explain how he is doing these things like it is normal or a natural evolution of his powers, but I am not feeling it at all.  And I for real think Howard is not putting any deep thought into these scenes and power displays like the fans, and it is just her not understanding how his powers work or simply wanting to give him things to do to justify his presence in the book whether it makes sense or not.  Everyone else's powers have been pretty nebulous and inconsistent in the book too from the very beginning.

Quote from: hairlesscat
Maybe it's just me, but I don't have any kind of burning desire to know Gambit's parentage. I am perfectly fine with that facet of his life remaining a mystery.

Super Agree!!!   This is how I have always felt about it.  I am perfectly fine with him being a normal mutant with normal human parents that did not want him because of his eyes of something.  His origin does not need to be any more complicated.  I know comic writers and a lot of fans are obsessed with every character being connected in some way, but I feel like it makes the Marvel Earth feel smaller and everyones origins overly convoluted and less unique and interesting.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 06:12:06 PM by thjan »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #334 on: July 22, 2021, 07:38:01 PM »

I am more than okay with Claremont writing a Gambit solo, even if it is set in the past.  I have always wanted a Claremont written story where Gambit is the undisputed star and main character.

Although same as NicoPony I would hope he won't try to push the Gambit as Sinister experiment thing.  Not a fan of that.  Also, I am expecting Gambit to be in a suit of some kind for this story, sigh.  Not a big fan of that either, but Claremont seems obsessed with putting him in one now.

I think as long as CC doesn't dwell to much in the past, it could be entertaining and if he doesn't shove a Claremazon into as well. And Xmen- The End was really crazy. Gambit wasn't only related to Sinister but Cyclops too if I recall correctly.

I want Gambit to shine too. One would hope with one half of the creative team (as in for creating the character) for Gambit, that he should be able to handle him.

RE: All New X-Factor

ANXF was underrated for a few issues here and there then PAD phoned it in and picked his favs and Marvel wasn't having it. Marvel gave him years to do what he wanted (with the older X-Factor -Maddrox) and then when they wanted what Marvel wanted, he was a codger.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 03:18:25 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #335 on: July 22, 2021, 08:06:25 PM »

Super Agree!!!   This is how I have always felt about it.  I am perfectly fine with him being a normal mutant with normal human parents that did not want him because of his eyes of something.  His origin does not need to be any more complicated.  I know comic writers and a lot of fans are obsessed with every character being connected in some way, but I feel like it makes the Marvel Earth feel smaller and everyones origins overly convoluted and less unique and interesting.

I agree. We don't need all the mutants to be somehow connected to eachother. It makes mutants feel like a small inbred race. Not necessary. Let Gambit be his own man with his own story and path. I'll admit that it is a good source for a story but I don't think I would wind up liking how they handled it and it just isn't needed anyway. As long as Claremont doesn't go with the 3rd Summers brother thing or the him being a Sinister clone I'll be ok. Don't think he'll touch his sexuality either. Just give us a good story we can all sink our teeth into. Not try to change what's been well established. I think we can all get on board with that.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 08:13:59 PM by wantutosigh »

Online andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #336 on: July 22, 2021, 08:17:06 PM »
I liked Asmus. I think he was just very limited in freedom or characters that he can use in Gambit`s book or what to do.
Asmus wasn`t allowed to use Black Cat, to make a rematch with Cap, to make Gambit in love with a male character and seduce other male character (Thanks Daniel Ketchum for not allowing it or Gambit would end up like Iceman now), to tell a story about Gambit`s real parents. Maybe something more but I don`t remember right now.

I know Asmus was being held back but at the end of the day he was the one who wrote all those bad fillers. There were other places he could've gone when he didn't get to use the characters he wanted. Characterization was mostly fine, I'm just glad Gambit didn't end up like Iceman.

Although I agree, I doubt it it would happen that way. When/if Gambit's origins were revealed, I don't think it'd be as simple as him having regular folks who abandoned him because of his eyes. His birth would have to be connected to Sinister after all the hints that were dropped along the years.

NicoPony

« Reply #337 on: July 23, 2021, 09:11:02 AM »
Him being born unwanted and then acquired by Black Womb could be the Sinister connection, rather than a biological relation. Thought New Sun was born and then brought into his universe’s version of Black Womb to be raised as a weapon. It depicted his birth in the regular way, out of a birth canal, not a test tube. Given in Hellions Nanny finds a big pile of dead babies at Sinister’s old clone farm, probably a good thing the Guild stole/kidnapped Remy.

Funny that Iceman’s “relationship” with Cloud, fans hold that up as evidence that Bobby was queer. Gambit kisses Jake and it’s basically, well, that’s Gambit being Gambit. That was back in what, early 2000s? Any other male marvel characters kissing non-binary or trans people prior to this? Sekhmet turned out to be a red herring. Jake was Gambit’s damsel in distress all along.

Meh, I think Gambit kisses anyone if he thinks he can get away with it. Turns out, a male character can kiss another male-identifying character and it doesn’t need to be a BIG THING. Gambit kissed Danger, maybe he’s a robosexual.

[/size]
[/size]Also, I am expecting Gambit to be in a suit of some kind for this story, sigh.  Not a big fan of that either, but Claremont seems obsessed with putting him in one now.
[/font][/size]

Yes, what is up with this? He looks so skeezy in that last Claremont Lil Stormy/Gambit story.

The only suit he needs to be in is either the tacky brown one from his nightclub date with Bishop, or that purple one from the cover of Deadpool v Gambit. Eccentric, not skeezy.

And definitely nix the orange sweater/collared shirt getup from his and Rogue’s party. You know she laid that out on the bed for him to wear that night. That was truly offensive to me.  ;D

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #338 on: July 23, 2021, 11:49:54 AM »
Rogue in general is the most offensive thing .... and it wouldn't be that way if writers were not worshiping her or self inserting themselves and demeaning Gambit for her. Apologies to Rogue fans, those who are here are good people. The bad people are on fanfic and the other place(s). Lets face it, the day of the forum is gone. IMO

As for suits for Gambit. Can't agree with the brown one. That was one of the worst eye sores I've seen.

IMO - being a thief and all. Classy all the way, with a black or pin stripe suit.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 11:51:37 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #339 on: July 23, 2021, 11:59:33 AM »
I miss when Gambit would just wear a leather jacket ripped jeans and boots as his casual wear.

NicoPony

« Reply #340 on: July 23, 2021, 12:05:45 PM »
IMO - being a thief and all. Classy all the way, with a black or pin stripe suit.

i concur with this as well. we know he is perfectly capable of dressing foine as hell.

I miss when Gambit would just wear a leather jacket ripped jeans and boots as his casual wear.

me too. he should never look "nice." he should dress badass or sexy or like someone who is clubbing in NOLA. not nice.

and as don said once: never clown pants.

which every time i think about i start myself to laugh.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #341 on: July 25, 2021, 05:29:34 PM »
Why must we resurrect clown pants?! I just got it out of my head!
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #342 on: July 25, 2021, 05:53:10 PM »
I was thinking that Claremont wrote a treatment for Tatum`s Gambit. In script for movie it was revealed at the end that Gambit is Sinister`s son.

Then I remembered X-Men The end and old theory video:
https://www.reddit.com/r/xmen/comments/4c3mh6/xmen_gambit_theory_video_with_new_evidence/

Interesting what everyone is thinking. Would you like this to be used?
I would like Gambit to be a resurrected Adam Essex, NOT a clone. With all pod people from Krakoa it feels like a logical time for reveal. And NicoPony shared not so long ago a Hellions data page that was similar to Black Womb.

I guess I'm the odd one out in feeling that the theory Claremont provided in The End made some sort of sense and I didn't hate it. However, I love the idea you posited here, too!

As to his parents in general, does every character need a connection to another one? Or some strange sci-fi origin story? No, not really.

The story someone concocted for Rogue's parents in her solo series some years back comes to mind as strange and needlessly convoluted. The part with her aunt was the only thing in that that felt like it had any emotional integrity to it. The otherworldly bells and whistles felt like they were thrown into the pot by someone who was trying too hard to come up with anything other than "typical". Those are just my feelings though.

With Gambit, on the other hand, I feel like it makes sense that his origin may not be so straightforward, and obviously, in the hands of a good writer, could be done wonderfully.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 06:16:25 PM by Varia »

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #343 on: July 25, 2021, 06:01:56 PM »
Rogue in general is the most offensive thing .... and it wouldn't be that way if writers were not worshiping her or self inserting themselves and demeaning Gambit for her. Apologies to Rogue fans, those who are here are good people. The bad people are on fanfic and the other place(s). Lets face it, the day of the forum is gone. IMO

As for suits for Gambit. Can't agree with the brown one. That was one of the worst eye sores I've seen.

As a Rogue fan, I concur. It seems to be what happens in the comics whenever you get a writer who, as a fan of certain characters, can't put aside their preferences to give all of the characters (favorite or least) their due in a story. At best it makes them uninteresting, at worst teeth-gratingly frustrating *keeps eyes rigidly away from Carey*.

The stuff that was being done with Rogue, Gambit, and many of the others was the reason I stopped reading comics in general. If I hear of a good run, I'll buy it in its collected form.

The reason I became interested in these characters to begin with was because of their many facets and the stories that exposed them and made them grow. They seemed to be able to do that while still keeping them distinct from one another.

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #344 on: July 25, 2021, 06:47:01 PM »
Can someone please tell me what these clown pants are?