Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61909 times)

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #360 on: July 25, 2021, 09:29:30 PM »
I'd actually be more annoyed if his connection to Sinister was just left unexplored. Plot holes and unexplained strings annoy me to no end.

Exactly!

Offline Varia

• Journeyman
« Reply #361 on: July 25, 2021, 09:36:00 PM »

I didn't hate it, either. At this point, Gambit's origins not having connections to Sinister would be nonsensical.

Completely agreed.

Having said that, no need for any kind of relation to the boring Summers, please.

I highly doubt the Summers could infect Gambit with their boring-ness. But, a connection to Gambit could only make THEM more interesting  :P  .
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 09:41:20 PM by Varia »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #362 on: July 25, 2021, 09:38:15 PM »

The combo is worse.

(I apologize in advance.)

Don't look Don! The eye sore that is clown pants in the thread.

Thanks for posting it - andresa, I had looked for far too long so that others who didn't know about them would understand. LOL

edit: they're worse than I remember and those shoes! oof. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 05:36:50 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #363 on: July 26, 2021, 09:50:12 AM »

4chan rumor so don`t be very excited. But it would be really cool if it was a real one.

https://www.cbr.com/netherrealms-marvel-fighting-game-leaks/

The roster for NetherRealm's long-rumored Marvel fighting game has supposedly leaked.

The character list for the game includes, "Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Wolverine, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Groot and Rocket (duo character), Blade, Gamora, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Gambit, Shang-Chi, Kitty Pryde, Invisible Woman, Mr Fantastic, Hulk, Skaar, Doctor Octopus, Blob, Mojo, Bullseye, Mephisto, Daken, Arnim Zola, Venom, Abomination, Deacon Frost (and) Madam Masque."

Deadpool will be offered as a pre-order bonus. The first DLC pack will reportedly include Daredevil, Cyclops, Raiden and Kylo Ren (of the Star Wars franchise).

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #364 on: July 26, 2021, 02:40:18 PM »
4chan rumor so don`t be very excited. But it would be really cool if it was a real one.

https://www.cbr.com/netherrealms-marvel-fighting-game-leaks/

The roster for NetherRealm's long-rumored Marvel fighting game has supposedly leaked.

The character list for the game includes, "Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Wolverine, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Groot and Rocket (duo character), Blade, Gamora, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Gambit, Shang-Chi, Kitty Pryde, Invisible Woman, Mr Fantastic, Hulk, Skaar, Doctor Octopus, Blob, Mojo, Bullseye, Mephisto, Daken, Arnim Zola, Venom, Abomination, Deacon Frost (and) Madam Masque."

Deadpool will be offered as a pre-order bonus. The first DLC pack will reportedly include Daredevil, Cyclops, Raiden and Kylo Ren (of the Star Wars franchise).

I'd be all over a high quality fighting game with Gambit as a playable character.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #365 on: July 27, 2021, 08:42:58 AM »
Worse than clown pants was that... person calling Gambit skeevy to justify the clown pants, and his offering free massages and getting the brush-off *sigh*

Ahh... I remember the 'skeevy' comment. When pressed to give examples of such behavior we got crickets. Gambit does have questionable behavior but only die-hard fans that actually read his books would know of the literally 1 or 2 bad looks over his career (the Nun-thing and Storm... and the latter was a two-way street). Most people who trash Gambit make up most of their mental images of him in their heads and just run with headcanon. Cyke, Emma, Wolverine, Angel, Psylocke, and Xavier are ten times more "skeevy" than Gambit has ever been in his 30yr comic history. It's bull*%#%.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #366 on: July 27, 2021, 08:45:03 AM »
Don't look Don! The eye sore that is clown pants in the thread.

Thanks for posting it - andresa, I had looked for far too long so that others who didn't know about them would understand. LOL

edit: they're worse than I remember and those shoes! oof.

???  what..?

::foolishly checks the bottom of the last page::

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #367 on: July 27, 2021, 10:37:22 AM »
Well, whatever there is to be said about T.H.’s writing, at the very least she doesn’t use her book as a forum to sh!t-post on Gambit. Can’t say the same for other writers.

The Comic-Con X-panel didn’t provide any insight/info. October solicits are Gambit-free. The only thing gleaned was from Duggan’s Twitter, that each month will feature insight into why each X-Man wanted to be on the NYC team. Next issue is Sunfire. We know from another post that Larraz  has drawn a panel with Gambit, so maybe he’ll cameo in X-Men #3?

When does Inferno start? Before or after I thirst to death from lack of Gambit content?

Offline thjan

• Guild Member
« Reply #368 on: July 27, 2021, 11:44:35 AM »

Ahh... I remember the 'skeevy' comment. When pressed to give examples of such behavior we got crickets. Gambit does have questionable behavior but only die-hard fans that actually read his books would know of the literally 1 or 2 bad looks over his career (the Nun-thing and Storm... and the latter was a two-way street). Most people who trash Gambit make up most of their mental images of him in their heads and just run with headcanon. Cyke, Emma, Wolverine, Angel, Psylocke, and Xavier are ten times more "skeevy" than Gambit has ever been in his 30yr comic history. It's bull*%#%.

Yeah, super agree.  That bothers me so much.  I have long found Cyclops to be a bit on the disturbing side when it comes to women and you have no idea how much Emma Frost getting a free pass on everything she does bothers me.  The speculation around that Inferno cover with Frost on it has bothered me for kind of that reason too.  People want her to be part of the "take down" of Xavier and Magneto as if she has any moral high ground whatsoever over either character and want her to take over leadership of Krakoa as if she wouldn't make questionable decisions as well(like I don't know, manipulating the minds of some world leaders or something like she already did lol).

Well, whatever there is to be said about T.H.’s writing, at the very least she doesn’t use her book as a forum to sh!t-post on Gambit. Can’t say the same for other writers.

Yeah, I may have my problems with Howard, but at least she is not actively trying to ruin Gambit like some past writers.  Excalibur is just boring and the worst that has happened where Gambit is concerned is not being used enough and Howard not having his voice or powers quite right.  Disappointing for a fan true, but not damaging the character at least.

Offline andrei

• Guild Member
« Reply #369 on: July 27, 2021, 01:33:00 PM »
My goodness... every time Marvel trashes Gambit like that I feel bad by giving them my money. That is not Gambit, that's just awful! But you know... it is easier thashing a character and yet got paid to do so. You want to point out some bad behavior? Cool, bring a story out of it and show the character growth.

But hey! Wolverine getting the teenager Jean in ultimate xmen is super cool!! - SARCASM.

NicoPony

« Reply #370 on: July 28, 2021, 09:56:23 AM »
Most people who trash Gambit make up most of their mental images of him in their heads and just run with headcanon. Cyke, Emma, Wolverine, Angel, Psylocke, and Xavier are ten times more "skeevy" than Gambit has ever been in his 30yr comic history. It's bull*%#%.

We have to hold Gambit to a higher standard than Cyke or Emma…or say, I don’t know, actual living-breathing US politicians. Emma, meanwhile, is the epitome of class. I cope by envisioning the bus scene from the end of Mean Girls every time I see the Cuckoos.

I hold that Gambit was given dubious mushrooms at Burning Man. He is straight-up tripping balls.

Yeah, super agree.  That bothers me so much.  I have long found Cyclops to be a bit on the disturbing side when it comes to women and you have no idea how much Emma Frost getting a free pass on everything she does bothers me.  The speculation around that Inferno cover with Frost on it has bothered me for kind of that reason too.  People want her to be part of the "take down" of Xavier and Magneto as if she has any moral high ground whatsoever over either character and want her to take over leadership of Krakoa as if she wouldn't make questionable decisions as well(like I don't know, manipulating the minds of some world leaders or something like she already did lol).

Everyone gets amnesty, it’s the Krakoan way. Free passes all around. Amnesty is not forgiveness, though, and certain characters actually have the capability to experience regret and remorse. Oh, what a world, where the one person who might feel bad about s*** he did is a guy formerly known as Scalphunter. Meanwhile the mastermind behind the massacre is on the Council.

I’m not saying this to be critical of the storytelling because for sure it makes things interesting and seriously, as a US citizen and Ohioan, who am I to criticize any other country’s representatives? Same s***, different venue.

You want to point out some bad behavior? Cool, bring a story out of it and show the character growth.

Me: it’s important to depict the concept of consent in mass media.
Also me, reading Outlander: Jamie: “I plan to use you hard sassenach, whether you will it or nae!” Me: Oh, man, that’s hot.
Me: characters should learn from their mistakes and come to realizations that past behavior is unacceptable.
Also me, reading Gambit: Remy: “I don’t take ‘no’ for an answer.” Me: Yeeeah, boi, get after it!

Consensual non-consent No Means Yes is the theme of literally every romance novel ever written. Is it anti-Feminist? I don’t know. But seriously who is anyone to yuck my yum?

But hey! Wolverine getting the teenager Jean in ultimate xmen is super cool!! - SARCASM.

Okay, now that is Yuck.

Think some writers can’t deal with characters they can’t either see themselves being or see themselves wanting to have sex with. Which is why Emma gets such focus. Upcoming solicits look great if you’re a fan of Emma. Wonder what that’s like, to see your fave appear in multiple books every week looking awesomely righteous. Guess I’ll never know.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #371 on: July 28, 2021, 04:43:10 PM »

Think some writers can’t deal with characters they can’t either see themselves being or see themselves wanting to have sex with. Which is why Emma gets such focus. Upcoming solicits look great if you’re a fan of Emma. Wonder what that’s like, to see your fave appear in multiple books every week looking awesomely righteous. Guess I’ll never know.

At least we had the 90's... right?

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #372 on: July 29, 2021, 07:06:31 PM »

That reminds me of X-Men Evolution (a show I never cared for), where some people got angry over that Gambit was only a few years older than Rogue, even though they were not dating, but these same people had no problem with a high school student being with Wolverine...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 07:09:47 PM by RomeoSvengali »
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

NicoPony

« Reply #373 on: July 29, 2021, 07:53:51 PM »
That reminds me of X-Men Evolution (a show I never cared for), where some people got angry over that Gambit was only a few years older than Rogue, even though they were not dating, but these same people had no problem with a high school student being with Wolverine...

Dude, at least wait til she’s out of high school.

Whoever Wolverine is with is going to be considerably younger, unless it’s Mystique, and I don’t have a problem with age discrepancies, but there is only ONE thing any adult grown man is interested in when it comes to a teenage girl. And it’s not her insta feed.

I really liked Evolution. I’m learning now when someone says they were introduced to the X-Men by the cartoon, they are not talking XTAS. They are talking about XM:Evo.

I feel so old.

If Evolution had continued, Rogue would have ended up with Scott. The creators said so. Which meant Jean would be available, and Gambit coulda been all, hey, wanna try my gumbo, chere? And then a whole generation of Jemy shippers might’ve been born. What could’ve been!

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #374 on: July 30, 2021, 01:29:36 AM »
Sadly, that's not the first time I've seen people liking and deafening statutory rape pairings, especially these days. I don't see that many people referencing Evolution, at least to the places I go to, and the fact that the writers wanted to kill off Jean and force Scott and Rogue together, despite the fact the two had next to no real connection or similarities, really showed the god awful writing that show had.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 01:37:00 AM by RomeoSvengali »
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)