Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61970 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #390 on: August 04, 2021, 12:04:46 PM »
I liked Rogue's look in Wolverine and the Xmen. Goth was interesting take on her, a little emo but it wasn't horrendous.  Having said that, her killing Mystique while Kurt was there felt wrong.

Re: which xman are you.
These quizzes crack me up. Because if you pay attention you can predict a character you want. I answered what I liked and got Jubilee but I'm certain you can get Gambit easily if you don't pick your favorite things. LOL

RE: XTAS
That show also got me into comics. I romy'ed too, it was the comics that ruined the relationship for me. My first book was a collected edition of Gambit. For the longest time, I treated the hobby as a dirty secret too. LOL Now, I can't care what people think of the hobby. 

The show didn't age well. I tried watching it on Netflix, now its on Disney+ but the animation was not maintained well. Or maybe its my TV but it looks old and out of focus.  It's not standing up well with smart TV's and what not. IMO - Disney should have someone restore it, upgrade it if that is possible.

edit: damn the formatting of the site!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 12:28:18 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline GambitMojo

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #391 on: August 07, 2021, 08:43:24 AM »
I haven't gotten comics for a LONG time
because the art was TERRIBLE as well as the stories.

Gambit rebated stories were often depressing.

What are they doing with him (& Rogue) now?  :gambit:

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #392 on: August 07, 2021, 05:37:31 PM »
Yesh, GambitMojo.  :D   Where to begin ....
Gambit and Rogue are married currently. I'll let others add stuff because ... I'm me. LMAO
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 01:27:29 PM by Nekobaghira »

NicoPony

« Reply #393 on: August 08, 2021, 12:24:34 PM »

What are they doing with him (& Rogue) now?  :gambit:

I started trying to catch up back in October after a 6 year hiatus and I still don’t know. Since my reading material is strictly Gambit or Sinister centered, if they aren’t involved, I don’t know or care. So I think Gambit’s done nothing for the last two years except own cats and brush Rogue’s hair.

Just read Rogue & Gambit mini, XMen Gold #30, Mr & Mrs X. Skip two years, and start Duggan’s X-Men #1 which at least has Rogue on the team. Unless you’re really into fairies and swords, I find Excalibur unreadable. Not just cause it’s bad, but because I literally can’t understand the sentences that come out of the characters mouths.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #394 on: August 08, 2021, 01:32:40 PM »
The Rogue and Gambit mini's purpose was to resolve all of their baggage but it was more centered on Rogue.

Mr and Mrs X was an ongoing but again mostly focused on Rogue and whatever her issue of the month was; by the time Gambit got any story the book was cancelled.

Rogue and Gambit got put in Excalibur and that writer had absolutely no clue what to do with Gambit specifically but in all fairness, the writer is terrible with all of the characters.

Gambit hasn't really done anything worthy of note outside of some actions scenes or complaining. Rogue fairs a little better but mostly isn't very nice to her husband.

Now that Rogue is in a different book. That horrible writer on Excalibur still has Gambit, so I can't imagine anything good coming out of that book. The writer (TH) has stated she has plans for Gambit but tbh - that scares me.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 11:09:48 AM by Nekobaghira »

NicoPony

« Reply #395 on: August 08, 2021, 07:42:53 PM »
To put the Rogue & Gambit mini plus Mr and Mrs X in a different perspective… it took fourteen issues to resolve all of Rogue’s various problems to at least try to make her palatable. The problem with the relationship was never Gambit. He was always pretty straightforward with his intentions towards Rogue with the exception of the very early issues of the X-Men 1991 series. He had every reason to leave the X-Men to protect himself, and instead stuck it out because he loved Rogue, who made him want to be a better person. He told her he loved her, he showed her he loved her, and at every turn was rejected or ignored. He had his spaz moments, mostly due to Rogue and her continuous rejections.

But.

He got better. She doubled down on being—herself.

So yes, the Thompson’s run is Rogue-focused not just because she is the author’s Mary Sue, but because it was Rogue’s fault. She was the reason for the angst and unhappiness.

It does irritate me though, that Thompson never had Rogue apologize. “I’m sorry for how I treated you, I made terrible choices and mistakes”  would have gone a lot further for me than her excuses and explanations for her abominable behavior.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #396 on: August 08, 2021, 10:35:48 PM »
To put the Rogue & Gambit mini plus Mr and Mrs X in a different perspective… it took fourteen issues to resolve all of Rogue’s various problems to at least try to make her palatable. The problem with the relationship was never Gambit. He was always pretty straightforward with his intentions towards Rogue with the exception of the very early issues of the X-Men 1991 series. He had every reason to leave the X-Men to protect himself, and instead stuck it out because he loved Rogue, who made him want to be a better person. He told her he loved her, he showed her he loved her, and at every turn was rejected or ignored. He had his spaz moments, mostly due to Rogue and her continuous rejections.

But.

He got better. She doubled down on being—herself.

So yes, the Thompson’s run is Rogue-focused not just because she is the author’s Mary Sue, but because it was Rogue’s fault. She was the reason for the angst and unhappiness.

It does irritate me though, that Thompson never had Rogue apologize. “I’m sorry for how I treated you, I made terrible choices and mistakes”  would have gone a lot further for me than her excuses and explanations for her abominable behavior.

What a terrific post. I 100% agree with everything. That's why I was pretty happy with most of Rogue and Gambit & Mr. and Mrs. X. I knew she had a lot of baggage and a lot to make up for. Gambit was straight up about his intentions and how he felt. It made sense to focus more on her if we were to accept a marriage. It just sucks that mr and mrs x had to end just as there was room to focus on Gambit's story.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #397 on: August 10, 2021, 01:09:15 PM »
Watching Rogue harp at Gambit in X-Men 2 made me cringe, not because it was wrong or annoyed me, but because I don't trust any of the current writers to portray them properly.. to Duggan's credit, this wasn't bad. Gambit was doing something fairly in character. I think it'd make more sense for him to be divorced from Excalibur completely for continuity sake, but this was fine as long as it doesn't become a running joke.

Gambit will probably never get his fair shake while being written by someone who doesn't care. He's a fan favorite that needs to be balanced properly to work, otherwise he's no more than gimmick. Tini might be a fine writer if she had an editor to direct her and was allowed to pull in characters for her book that make sense i.e. Pixie, Selene, Emplate, Forge, Magik and Colossus (on a stretch). Gambit is in no way in this vein.

Neither are Jubilee or Rictor prior to his arrival, which still was very forced and creepy (his fixation on Apocalypse - something we saw in AoA which ended in a gruesome death at Apocalypse's hand... Literally).

Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #398 on: August 11, 2021, 08:12:18 AM »
It just sucks that mr and mrs x had to end just as there was room to focus on Gambit's story.

Her momentary focus on Gambit was to repeat what had already been done better by FabNic and Asmus. Why was he fighting to be leader of a bunch of NOLA punks again when he was made King?

[/size]
Watching Rogue harp at Gambit in X-Men 2 made me cringe, not because it was wrong or annoyed me, but because I don't trust any of the current writers to portray them properly.. to Duggan's credit, this wasn't bad. Gambit was doing something fairly in character. I think it'd make more sense for him to be divorced from Excalibur completely for continuity sake, but this was fine as long as it doesn't become a running joke.

Gambit is fine. He has been training for this moment his whole life. First, whatever hell the Guilds put him through, being awake for his own lobotomy, eviscerated by Sabretooth, tortured by the Mengo Bros, transformed while conscious by Apocalypse. He knows pain and suffering. Marriage to Rogue is what he's built up to.

I kid...kinda.

Seriously though, if Gambit had gone through the Weapon X program, he wouldn't have been plagued by agony and nightmares. He woulda taken off that dumb helmet thing and been like: Tis but a flesh wound! and then gone out for drinks and dancing.

NicoPony

« Reply #399 on: August 13, 2021, 06:56:38 PM »
https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/deadpool-black-white-blood-2-preview-art

Gambit spotted in Deadpool Black White and Blood #2.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #400 on: August 13, 2021, 11:41:30 PM »

Not interested in Gambit being anywhere near a Deadpool book.

Offline GambitMojo

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #401 on: August 14, 2021, 02:40:06 PM »
I MISS seeing Gambit art .
I PREFERR his with out the cowel (head thing)
especially when not of his uniform.  :gambit:

There is no new Gambit art in 2021 ?

NicoPony

« Reply #402 on: August 14, 2021, 03:43:18 PM »

Not interested in Gambit being anywhere near a Deadpool book.

Aw I think he looks like a cutie patootie. If anyone belongs in a black/white/red comic it’s Remy. Those eyes!! Swoon.

I MISS seeing Gambit art .
I PREFERR his with out the cowel (head thing)
especially when not of his uniform.  :gambit:

There is no new Gambit art in 2021 ?

I drew a sketch of Gambit and Bishop on my deviantart, but the eyes came out wrong and I haven’t drawn anything in 6 years so I won’t post it here. He’s not wearing the head sock tho. I also did him and Black Cat but she came out weird.

Offline thjan

• Guild Member
« Reply #403 on: August 14, 2021, 06:08:56 PM »

Cool!  I will be getting this. Gambit indeed looks great in this art.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #404 on: August 14, 2021, 06:18:07 PM »