Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61871 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #465 on: September 07, 2021, 01:11:59 PM »

LOL, that guy was so out of it, I think he might've been partaking of the aromatic herb during that interview.

The unbearable and super not-funny accent parts on behalf of the host aside, the idea of Gambit needing an author to come up with a Treatise on Remy LeBeau is food for thought.

Remy's motivations haven't been beyond being Rogue's loveseat (I decided he's no longer a coat rack, and he's moved past armchair, and has now graduated to loveseat/small sofa because he's so cosy). Otherwise, he's been showing up to a) steal stuff because he can or b) help friends when he can.

Anyone want to make a treatise on Gambit? A whole new world for Remy that moves beyond Guild/Rogue. What's his motivation? Who is his foil? Who is his buddy? What is his quest? What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Comparing Gambit to Catwoman is apt. Before I fell in love with X-Men on Saturday morning there was Batman: The Animated Series after school. Loved Selina Kyle, I even named my cat Isis after her's on the show. I loved her motivation was stealing from rich people and corporations because they were destroying the environment and mean to animals. Remy needs a reason to put his skills to good use. Randomly showing up with a dumbass sidekick while wearing a beanie is not ideal.

Thought we agreed to never talk about beanie-gate again... of was that just me? Clown pants, stupid beanie... helluva time for the cajun it was post-X-Factor.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #466 on: September 07, 2021, 03:26:56 PM »
You mean the sidekick wearing the black & white horizontal stripes with a mask who's about to steal you quarter pounder?  Such stealth...

;D  i think i heard him quietly say: 'robble robble' to himself too.

Thought we agreed to never talk about beanie-gate again... of was that just me? Clown pants, stupid beanie... helluva time for the cajun it was post-X-Factor.

i didn't realize the beanie was verboten. me and marvel were on a break during that time period. i thought remy looked cute wearing it (and not much else) in the snow with joelle.  ;)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #467 on: September 08, 2021, 03:07:15 PM »
Excalibur 23 is garbage. I loved completely The Deadpool: Black, White, and Blood #2. I wish that writer would do a Dedapool V Gambit vol 2. Really fun issue
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 11:19:40 AM by DonPriceTag »

NicoPony

« Reply #468 on: September 08, 2021, 05:45:53 PM »
Excalibur 23 is garbage.I loved completely The Deadpool: Black, White, and Blood #2. I wish that writer would do a Dedapool V Gambit vol 2. Really fun issue

I loved the Deadpool/Gambit team up and the other two stories were good, the Daredevil one bc Wade is so dumb, mind control barely works on him and the other for having a Dance Off and cool art.

The Gambit portion opens with DP falling out of a helicopter, cue record scratch. We pop back in time to see him blow a woman’s head off. Another record scratch. Further back now, a game of cards with the woman’s Boy Toy. Holy Shirt, it’s Gambit! Gambit goes to get the woman a drink, turns out he’s undercover, trying to recruit the woman for Xavier, a techno path with no scruples. Wade clues Gambit in, the woman is less than scrupulous, she’s a cannibal baby eater and so are all her monster friends. Wade and Gambit make a break for a helicopter, as DP has loaded the resort with explosives. But oops, DP forgot the detonator. Gambit charges DP and throws him out the window. Later he does the friendly thing and helps DP pick up his body parts. They ride off (on jet skis) into the sunset, DP telling Gambit he loves him. End.

Non spoilery spoilers:

Gambit in a Speedo.
Deadpool tries to speak French (moan cherry, lol).
Helicopter explosions.

I think Xavier knew Benji was a baby-eater. Krakoa has a back inventory of babies and he’s got to move them out fast.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 05:50:57 PM by NicoPony »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #469 on: September 09, 2021, 03:00:33 PM »
"Time to go-go gigolo!" Hilarious. Wished he was that and more ....

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #470 on: September 09, 2021, 05:46:06 PM »
Yawn

Edit: Sorry, this is what I thought in my head when reading the last few posts and without thinking, I posted it. I came back to delete it but couldn't figure out how.

I'm just not a fan of Deadpool and it all sounds very Deadpooly. At least it doesn't sound like it's mocking Gambit.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 05:58:51 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline hairlesscat

• Master Thief
« Reply #471 on: September 09, 2021, 07:39:54 PM »
It is headcanon for me that Gambit was training that guy when Rogue found him. Or auditioning him for his International Guild.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 07:43:44 PM by hairlesscat »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #472 on: September 09, 2021, 09:38:31 PM »
Yawn

Edit: Sorry, this is what I thought in my head when reading the last few posts and without thinking, I posted it. I came back to delete it but couldn't figure out how.

I'm just not a fan of Deadpool and it all sounds very Deadpooly. At least it doesn't sound like it's mocking Gambit.
I can delete if you want me to do so. We don't have a 'delete' per say, its called 'remove'.

However, don't feel you've said anything horrible,  you have not. Let me know or use the 'remove' feature. :)

NicoPony

« Reply #473 on: September 10, 2021, 07:56:15 AM »
It is headcanon for me that Gambit was training that guy when Rogue found him. Or auditioning him for his International Guild.

I'm going to adopt this as well. It makes sense for his character to try to be a mentor to other young thieves, and otherwise invest his loyalty in people who do not deserve it.

"Time to go-go gigolo!" Hilarious. Wished he was that and more ....

All the nicknames...  :smitten:

Gambit was in character, had a personality, had an appropriate reason for being there, sticks to his moral compass in the face of DP's wanton murdering, but also shows trust/camaraderie with the guy.

Or you can tune into Excalibur where Gambit, literally and figuratively, is not playing with a full deck.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #474 on: September 13, 2021, 11:24:11 AM »

I'm going to adopt this as well. It makes sense for his character to try to be a mentor to other young thieves, and otherwise invest his loyalty in people who do not deserve it.

All the nicknames...  :smitten:

Gambit was in character, had a personality, had an appropriate reason for being there, sticks to his moral compass in the face of DP's wanton murdering, but also shows trust/camaraderie with the guy.

Or you can tune into Excalibur where Gambit, literally and figuratively, is not playing with a full deck.

Seriously... Gambit has no use in this book. So many other characters not being used that be right at home in an X-Men book about magic and the occult.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #475 on: September 16, 2021, 05:03:02 PM »
Excalibur finally ends with #26 on December.
Hopefully 2022 will be a good year for us.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #476 on: September 16, 2021, 06:20:23 PM »
How the #$#% did it get to 26, but Hellions is getting canceled? Mind you Wells is moving onto Spider-Man - but still... what the #@$@?

NicoPony

« Reply #477 on: September 16, 2021, 06:49:59 PM »
Hellions is a fantastic story, but as the plot unfolded, it is obvious that it could not continue on as it was. Sinister's plot revealed, him losing his leverage over Kwannon, all in an extremely satisfying surprise reveal.

What is really disappointing is that you can tell a series is going to end by its cohesive plot and character beats that show progression and development. Part of what made this book special was that who cares about any of the cast, really? (Maybe Havok has fans, I don't know them.) Wells could do whatever he wanted. I'm terribly sad to see it over, but it's understandable.

Contrast that to Excalibur, which liked to produce plot points, but not in a cohesive way. Was this intended to create suspense? Intrigue? It was all very confusing from one book to the next because they don't flow into one another. Whenever a plot point was revealed, it was very 'meh, I waiting how long for this to come up again?' I hear that Howard and Hickman are into "world building" and "long form storytelling." World-building is not firing endless clues and hints and plot devices into the air like my neighbors with their semi-automatics on the Fourth of July... so many plot threads you need a spreadsheet to keep track of them all. You set parameters and your world operates in these parameters. Look at Harry Potter, we have a school teach us how the magical world works and then the story unfolds within this world. There are rules. Excalibur just seems like making s*** up as you go along. There are no rules, so there are no stakes. They don't seem to care about the characters or their history, just whatever it takes to move their "plot" along.

Tell you what though, stories are transportation, but the characters are the drivers. Stories are temporary, characters are forever. I prefer long-term investment over a craps table.

Real bummed over the solicits today. A 12 week hiatus to watch Wolverine get killed 10 times? And since he's damn hard to kill, you know it's going to be horribly disgusting. I can't think of anything more joyless than watching a character die repeatedly in an AU. I wouldn't wish that on Wolvie or any character (even Magneto. He should die once in a way befitting of his character - when his hair straightener falls into his bathtub with him in it). I pray Gambit has nothing at all to do with this X Lives/Death event. I hope Claremont has something in store for Remy and it relates to the "plans" hint that Howard dropped when Rogue was elected to the X-Men.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #478 on: September 17, 2021, 11:20:00 AM »
Excalibur finally ends with #26 on December.
Hopefully 2022 will be a good year for us.
Too long of a run, but good that the pain is over.

edit: It's a Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa gift or whichever holiday that I have not mentioned works for us!!! Celebrate good times yah-hoo!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 11:51:45 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 10:37:24 PM by wantutosigh »