Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2021  (Read 61840 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch 2021
« Reply #540 on: December 01, 2021, 05:48:39 PM »
I saw that Gambit / Rogue cameo in Trial in Magneto #4, which has me very worried. Those two panels were so utterly pointless (Gambit & Rogue walk in with margaritas in-hand, say "whoa, a battle with monsters, guess we should join," and end their scene). I'm worried they're making him somehow connected to Wanda's killer, a brief tie-in to the big revelation in issue 5. We did see Gambit, Wolverine, Jean and Polaris on Hickman's Inferno cover, all unconscious or worse as well...still don't know what that's about.

Nah. Don`t worry. I am sure that Gambit won`t even appear in final Trial issue. It was a funny moment with margaritas. That`s all.

I was sure that Gambit won`t appear in Inferno but a lot of stuff from Mark Brooks teaser were already used in in it so maybe we will have even something with Remy.
At lease he is resting in a good company here.

NicoPony

« Reply #541 on: December 01, 2021, 06:33:41 PM »
Trial of Magneto stopped making sense after issue #2. I liked issue one and two, but then three was like: WHAT??? #4 only added to the nonsense. Gambit and Rogue's appearance, I think, was to answer the question of: Why are all the newly-elected X-Men here BUT Rogue?

Answer: Because she and Gambit were double fisting cocktails while shopping. Which, if we're following some kind of timeline, takes place immediately after the Gala(?). So Rogue got elected to the X-Men and the first thing she thought was REMY, GIT IN THE CAR. WE'RE GOIN' SHOPPIN'!

I want to know where Quicksilver disappeared to? Wanda's brother! He got his butt looked at by Northstar back in issue two and then - gone.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #542 on: December 06, 2021, 08:50:34 AM »
Trial of Magneto stopped making sense after issue #2. I liked issue one and two, but then three was like: WHAT??? #4 only added to the nonsense. Gambit and Rogue's appearance, I think, was to answer the question of: Why are all the newly-elected X-Men here BUT Rogue?

Answer: Because she and Gambit were double fisting cocktails while shopping. Which, if we're following some kind of timeline, takes place immediately after the Gala(?). So Rogue got elected to the X-Men and the first thing she thought was REMY, GIT IN THE CAR. WE'RE GOIN' SHOPPIN'!

I want to know where Quicksilver disappeared to? Wanda's brother! He got his butt looked at by Northstar back in issue two and then - gone.

First mistake - trying to make sense of a "murder mystery" that takes place on an island populated by hordes of telepaths, time travelers, a couple of necromancers, and people with super senses and intellects. This "mystery" should have been solved in a manner of seconds.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 08:52:47 AM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #543 on: December 06, 2021, 06:02:26 PM »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #544 on: December 07, 2021, 10:38:13 AM »

Possible landing spots for Gambit based on book name...

Immortal X-Men - sounds unlikely
Marauders - the premise of the book fits, always has.
X-Force - Gambit of old could work here
Knights of X - sounds pretentious
X-Men - he's not high profile enough in X-Office
Legion of X - prob a rotating cast?
Wolverine - n/a
New Mutants - n/a
X-Men Red - possible but if Taylor is involved, please no.

In my opinion it's between: Marauders, X-Force, or X-Men Red.

Unfortunately it looks like their keeping the stupid hood-thing and his staff is still made of wood...
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #545 on: December 07, 2021, 02:52:07 PM »
For what it’s worth, Taylor tweeted that he wasn’t involved with Red.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #546 on: December 07, 2021, 06:04:18 PM »
It seems that Knight of X will be just a new name for Excalibur.
I just hope that Howard is not writing him anymore but ready for the worst.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #547 on: December 08, 2021, 08:00:29 AM »
It seems that Knight of X will be just a new name for Excalibur.
I just hope that Howard is not writing him anymore but ready for the worst.

combining that with the fact Gambit still wearing his Excalibur get-up, scares me. I was hoping Gambit could escape from that magical nonsense that does not serve his character... or any character in the last book, outside of Betsy...

Offline thjan

• Guild Member
« Reply #548 on: December 08, 2021, 12:39:54 PM »
Unfortunately it looks like their keeping the stupid hood-thing and his staff is still made of wood...

Ha, I was beginning to think I was the only one that thought the hood was awful.

Anyway, I hate to be a downer, but I really don't think much is going to change.  I think Howard is still going to be around(because the X-Office loves her writing for some reason), and I think Gambit is still going to be trapped and useless and bland under her pen(because the X-Office does not like Gambit for some reason and only begrudgingly use him because of his popularity).  Marvel doesn't have to worry about Gambit being important or being bombarded with requests that he be used and Howard gets a big name draw that she doesn't have to do anything with if she does not feel like it.  It's a win-win for both the X-Office and Howard.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 12:42:32 PM by thjan »

NicoPony

« Reply #549 on: December 08, 2021, 01:12:21 PM »

Immortal X-Men is not in the cards for Gambit. IXM will be written by Gillen, so at least it'll be entertaining.

Ugh, this image implies Magneto as the Christ figure. Gross. Like we haven't seen him portrayed as God and the Virgin Mary already.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/immortal-x-men-kieron-gillen-lucas-werneck-full-announcement

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #550 on: December 10, 2021, 08:30:41 AM »

Immortal X-Men is not in the cards for Gambit. IXM will be written by Gillen, so at least it'll be entertaining.

Ugh, this image implies Magneto as the Christ figure. Gross. Like we haven't seen him portrayed as God and the Virgin Mary already.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/immortal-x-men-kieron-gillen-lucas-werneck-full-announcement

Most definitely not his bag or group of folk. But once upon a time, he did want to use Gambit in his Uncanny X-Men run, but Carey or Gage (don't remember) wouldn't release him.

We do at least know he's not a Marauder either, which actually looks more like a replacement for X-Factor in terms of the roster construction being half LGBT characters - I think this new writer may handle the writing better than Williams who more often than not just filled her pages with walls of dialogue.

So currently it's between X-Force, X-Men Red and... Knights of X
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 08:38:16 AM by DonPriceTag »

NicoPony

« Reply #551 on: December 10, 2021, 03:40:30 PM »
If Gambit ends up in Knights of X, I insist we all call it Kox. Not an acronym. K-o-x, but actually pronounce it as ‘Kox.’

Then we can say: “did you hear, Kox out this week!” “Did you see solicits for Kox?” “Kox just isn’t doing it for me lately.” Or “gosh, I am so excited for Kox! I can’t wait for more Kox!”

I think the best case scenario is Williams writing this book, really, unless it’s an entirely different writer altogether we haven’t heard of or had hinted at. I don’t mind her dialogue because she actually writes a team book and everyone has something to say. compare that to X-Men, which is basically a Larraz  coffee table book of beautiful pictures and Duggan occasionally throwing in a word bubble per page. Takes less than 2 minutes to “read” XMen. At least Williams isn’t Hickman, who drowns you in plot points so confusing you need a diagram to figure out what just happened. And then he literally gives you a diagram. Howard tosses up word salad while the characters do inexplicable things. I’ll take the Claremontian style dialogue bubbles where we actually know what the characters are thinking, feeling, and WHY they are doing the things they do.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #552 on: December 12, 2021, 01:14:18 PM »
Nothing to do with Gambit other than he has cats.
And to tease Don.

NicoPony

« Reply #553 on: December 12, 2021, 02:44:59 PM »
Nothing to do with Gambit other than he has cats.
And to tease Don.

It could have something to do with Gambit…I seem to recall Wolverine giving Remy a hard time about his cats, and Gambit responded that he had a photo of Wolvie playing with them. And then threatened to share it. So maybe Gambit took the photo as future blackmail.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #554 on: December 12, 2021, 05:36:12 PM »
I like this theory. Did you see how much cat stuff in the image! It made me laugh.

edit: OMG - this means Gambit and Wolverine love cats!!!!!!!!!! LMAO
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 07:44:15 PM by Nekobaghira »