Author Topic: X-Men reboot?  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
X-Men reboot?
« on: March 04, 2021, 07:02:51 PM »
Via CBR .... looking like Marvel/Disney getting into the development of rebooting the Xmen.

https://www.cbr.com/mcu-x-men-reboot-movie-the-mutants-report/

While I think it could be hit or miss, I think as far away from Fox has done would be best.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
Re: X-Men reboot?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 11:27:35 PM »
I am so ready for an X-Men reboot it's not funny. I have hated the Fox X-Men for so many years now. I have been begging for them to be brought into the MCU for so long. But now I don't even know if they're going to even call them the "X-Men" anymore because that name is problematic now apparently. I just want properly done X-Men soooo bad.

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 12:01:31 AM »
Yes, it needs to reboot, but with the people in charge... I wouldn't mind being wrong, but I'm not expecting good things.
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

NicoPony

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 11:02:45 AM »

At Marvel, it's 'story above continuity'. They are afraid of scaring off potential new readers (lol) by having their universe steeped in years of lore... you know, like how comic books have worked since the 60s. So, this is what you get. A bunch of new writers that aren't tasked with thoroughly researching their subjects beyond the last run or two. Since most of the new writers of the past 5 years are all basically the same flavor - the characters behave differently than they have until the point their new personality is the new norm. Which means they all sound and act the same, or how their most popular iteration from movies or TV do. It's how we ended up clumsy Gambit, clown Sinister, good-guy Daken, anti-hero Apocalypse, whacky Pyro, or X-Men that are somehow cool with being called Marauders...

Hoping in a few years, we'll see a panel featuring Krakoa...which slowly gets smaller and smaller until we realize it's inside of a snowglobe. And the snowglobe is held in Xavier's hand, where he sits in a padded room, wearing a stainless steel bedpan on his head. And then outside of that room looking in through a window is Sinister and he says: And they said I was crazy!

And then it's all fixed and we can go back to reading X-Men books again.

NicoPony

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 11:07:35 AM »
I am so ready for an X-Men reboot it's not funny. I have hated the Fox X-Men for so many years now. I have been begging for them to be brought into the MCU for so long. But now I don't even know if they're going to even call them the "X-Men" anymore because that name is problematic now apparently. I just want properly done X-Men soooo bad.

I'll try to stay positive and think that "The Mutants" is the lead-in for the future "The X-Men," as they aren't X-Men yet, but mutants introduced a handful at a time leading up to the eventual team formation, a la Avengers or Defenders.

Alternatively, if by some miracle new X-Men movies somehow led to new comic readers, boy, would they be confused. God help us if we have to watch the smutty sword-wielding adventures of the mutants of Krakoa.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 05:46:27 PM »
I waited so long to see new Mortal Kombat movie and it got rebooted without my favorite character so I won't watch it.

Nothing so far shows that Disney or Marvel are interested in Gambit or will use him. Will keep my expectations low.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 09:35:33 PM »
I don't know, Disney's focus is with Star Wars.

There seems to be some sort of ... 'we're gonna rest' for the moment via the Marvel movies. Beyond the TV shows for Disney+
C'mon, nothing since the end of Avengers thing. I know blasphemy, I didn't like the last two films. whatevs.

Disney is so busy with their 'live action' stuff and not doing anything new outside of TV shows specific to their service.

If you aren't a fan of what that is, you are out of luck.
Who knows, times might change.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 08:48:14 AM »

I'll try to stay positive and think that "The Mutants" is the lead-in for the future "The X-Men," as they aren't X-Men yet, but mutants introduced a handful at a time leading up to the eventual team formation, a la Avengers or Defenders.

Alternatively, if by some miracle new X-Men movies somehow led to new comic readers, boy, would they be confused. God help us if we have to watch the smutty sword-wielding adventures of the mutants of Krakoa.

Pretty sure "The Mutants" is just a working title and nod to Stan Lee. His original title for the X-Men was actually just "The Mutants" and his publisher said 'no'. The name "X-Men" is worth far too much not to use as a movie title. It'd be like calling a Batman reboot "Bruce".
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 12:01:52 PM »

Pretty sure "The Mutants" is just a working title and nod to Stan Lee. His original title for the X-Men was actually just "The Mutants" and his publisher said 'no'. The name "X-Men" is worth far too much not to use as a movie title. It'd be like calling a Batman reboot "Bruce".

;D ;D ;D

Well, they couldn't call it "Wayne" because that title was taken for another, cooler show.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 11:25:11 PM »

Or like calling it "The Dark Knight" or something. Nah, they'd never do that.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 10:27:29 AM »
I am sure that X-Men will be only event X movies like Avengers. The Mutants can be a D+ show that will introduce mutants to MCU or introduce some X characters that won`t have own solo movies or series but will have their own centered episodes in The Mutants. Something like X-Men Ultimate that had every issue a different X-Men character at focus.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 02:11:16 PM »

Or like calling it "The Dark Knight" or something. Nah, they'd never do that.

Cute. But I thought about someone saying that. Being on Twitter helps predict such things ;) . That's not even close to the same. For one, The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises were sequels to "Batman Begins". Marvel's first full outing with the X-Men franchise will have the name X-Men in it. That's rarely how marketing works.

Brands do sometimes stop using their names in titles and switch to obscure reference to their name, sometimes even logos - but that's typically years after securing thier place in the minds of the consumers.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 02:21:03 PM »
I'm not even sure why this is worth talking about. It's a working title, not the Dead Sea Scrolls. It's pretty normal practice. Besides I seriously doubt Marvel and Feige would debut the name of the movie through callsheets and purchase orders.

Not to mention the last Fox movie that came out was called "The New Mutants". This would be bigger blunder of a naming effort since.. Xbox calling their new system Xbox Series X and S after just discontinuing Xbox One X and One S.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 07:41:15 PM »

Cute. But I thought about someone saying that. Being on Twitter helps predict such things ;) . That's not even close to the same. For one, The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises were sequels to "Batman Begins". Marvel's first full outing with the X-Men franchise will have the name X-Men in it. That's rarely how marketing works.

Brands do sometimes stop using their names in titles and switch to obscure reference to their name, sometimes even logos - but that's typically years after securing thier place in the minds of the consumers.

How about "Man of Steel"? Is that any cuter? Listen, I really don't think they won't use "X-Men" as a title because it really would be the dumbest thing they could possibly do with the IP. Just, at this point nothing would shock me. A lot of the people behind the scenes live in their own bubbles and follow the twitter crowds that don't represent the general public. Just hopefully Feige doesn't let anything get away from him. Like I said, I can't imagine they wouldn't use "X-Men" in the title. It would be mind boggling.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 07:50:56 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 12:41:56 PM »
I knew you'd bring that up... Man of Steel, Dark Knight, The Fastest Man alive, Boy Wonder, etc - are all trademarked alias' of famous characters under the same umbrella. It's also the upteenth movie in a very long line of movies from the same studio. All X-Men are not mutants, and all mutants are not X-Men.

"The Mutants" is most likely a working title and is extremely unimaginable, indescript for a launch of a new franchise. Which is why I assume they are using it. It doesn't tell you anything, while working as a label.

I'm glad we agree  ;D