Poll

Do you plan on reading Marvel's Prose Novels?

yes
0 (0%)
no
2 (100%)
maybe
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Marvel Aconyte Series - Prose Novels  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Marvel Aconyte Series - Prose Novels
« on: May 04, 2021, 01:14:13 PM »
https://www.marvel.com/articles/culture-lifestyle/heroines-prose-novel-rogue-untouched
The next installment of the Marvel Aconyte Series:

Rogue Untouched is in the line of books. Written by Alisa Kwitney. It was available May 4th 2021 at bookstores, amazon. etc. I'm using Amazon's pricing, kindle/electronic version $9.95, for the paperback $16.80. Availability dates change depending on the site you use for the purchase of the book. 238 pages.

Domino was featured last year.  The solicit is the same for everyone where the book is listed - (Marvel, Amazon, Goodreads) thus I don't consider it a spoiler but having said that, the solicit is at the bottom below the image. IF you don't want to know, just buy and read. :)

It appears via the solicit that Gambit will be making an appearance. He is on the cover.

Rogue: UntouchedYoung Rogue’s life is a mess: she lives alone in an abandoned cabin, works a terrible diner job, and hides from everyone. The powers she has started to develop are terrifying her. When your first kiss almost kills the guy, it’s hard to trust anyone—even yourself. Then two people arrive in town who could change her life, and she finally gets a choice: follow a mysterious billionaire who says she’s scouting for gifted interns, or the handsome card shark with eerie red eyes. Except they’re not the only ones watching her… Rogue will have to trust in herself and accept the powers she’s trying to suppress to decide her own fate—before someone else does.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 08:19:58 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
Re: Marvel Aconyte Series - Prose Novels
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 01:17:50 PM »

Spoiler...

Gambit's in it, haven't read it, but according to some spoilers I've read he's there.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 01:27:11 PM »
It's a 4 book series, Elsa Bloodstone:Bequest out today May 4th 2021Outlaw: Relentless Sept 7, 2021

NicoPony

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 04:22:55 PM »
Well, he is right there on the cover...

Mine's coming in the mail today!

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 04:26:13 PM »
Well, look at that, he is on the cover, I didn't notice. LOL

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 05:14:59 PM »
Yeah I just noticed him on the cover too. My spoiler tags were completely unnecessary. lol.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 06:06:05 PM »
I think $9.95 for the electronic book with only 238 pages is a no go for me besides my usual objections.
I usually pay less on a ebook for anywhere between 100 - 150 more pages than 238.  The other prose novels in the series are short too.

Probably why they're trying to sell them as a 'group' thing.

NicoPony

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 06:52:52 PM »
As someone desperate for Cajun Content, I’m paying for the paperback. Unfortunately, my concentration skills of late are depleted and it’ll take me ages to get through since 3/4 of my time is spent staring out my home office window at birds.

My beef with these prose books is that Fantomex is getting one. Why? Who asked for that? Gambit should have got his own book first.

Marvel: we’re looking for a writer to write a narrative about Fantomex.
Writers: you’re pronouncing “Gambit” wrong.

Offline thjan

• Guild Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 08:30:32 PM »
Got mine in the mail today!  Looking forward to reading it.

NicoPony

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 11:30:18 AM »
So, I got to Chapter Six, then realized I'd run out of wine and needed to go to bed.

My initial thoughts:

You'd need to have familiarity with the Marvel Universe to have a full picture of what's going on. No one explains what mutants are, just that they exist. The characters know the X-Men and Xavier's school exist.

Remy speaks in full coherent sentences. No third-person speak. He is of reasonable intelligence. Praise Jesus Hands.

Remy brings his problems to Anna Marie's doorstep is what I'm getting from the plot so far, though it is fairly obvious who the other two people who show up at AM's diner are. The diner seems very much out of the Sookie Stackhouse series. There is even a Lafayette.

AM is thirsty and Remy looks like a tall glass of sweetened iced tea.

It's not the 616 universe, but the story beats are similar.

I think it might be a Gambit story but told from Rogue's POV. And for once, I agree with her. Yes, Remy is super hot.

Minor irritations:

It makes a point to include more diversity, denounce slavery, stuff like that. Which I appreciate, but don't need beaten over my head with. The writer also makes an effort to not depict southerners as stereotypes, like what you'd see in Deliverance.

Too many Southern sayings, and while I LOVE the XTAS' "cat in a roomful of rocking chairs" Rogue, we do not need two Folksy Sayings per sentence.

A crow and a raven are not the same kinda bird, nor do they sound alike.

Overall, I'm entertained. I'm not really a critical reader or someone who appreciates literature. For a mutant romance novel, sure, I'm all in. It goes good with Chardonnay.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 12:16:44 PM »
I read a review for the book. I suspect you and anyone else who bought and read will give better details.

It's basically a different take on an origin story for Rogue, while not 616, its still just another writer's view of Rogue at the beginning. Though, the solicit alludes to that anyway. LOL
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 03:32:48 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 02:23:56 PM »
Well this could be interesting. I'll wait to hear some of your opinions on it first. I'm so tired of Marvel drawing their female characters with a "punk" look. It wreaks of a self-insert of what they think is "cool".

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 03:02:32 AM »
Spoilers for that Novel

It is AU. Rogue is a teen and Gambit is really nerfed in it so she can always save a day. All villains are from Gambit's lore, lol . Like Mackie's Rogue mini
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 11:06:24 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 12:37:55 PM »
This reminds me of the AU fan novel Mera: Tidebreaker, which was nothing more than fan fiction with pictures, written by someone who clearly can't write worth a damn.
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 11:28:36 AM »
Nico- she was a tad heavy handed I some spots, lol.

Everyone was kinda nerfed. Rogue is supposed to be like 19 and hadn’t figured out she was a mutant yet, what? Gambit was nerfed more, though. I think you would need only very basic marvel/X-men knowledge. There are deep cut characters l, but they are treated as basically new, so you don’t need to know who they are. In some cases, it’s better if you didn’t know who they were. :p