Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2022  (Read 118370 times)

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
Re: Gambit Watch 2022
« Reply #255 on: July 19, 2022, 02:14:05 PM »

when it co-stars Storm…well, why even have gambit on the title at this point.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Marvel probably wanted a Gambit series and asked CC and he probably worked it out so it can be in the past so he can work Storm in there. Seeming like Gambit will be the sidekick in his own title. I wonder if "Ro" will be a better thief. Or perhaps she can save him a bunch of times. CC definitely made it seem like the story set up was more for "Ro" as he didn't even mention Gambit.

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #256 on: July 19, 2022, 06:27:31 PM »

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Marvel probably wanted a Gambit series and asked CC and he probably worked it out so it can be in the past so he can work Storm in there. Seeming like Gambit will be the sidekick in his own title. I wonder if "Ro" will be a better thief. Or perhaps she can save him a bunch of times. CC definitely made it seem like the story set up was more for "Ro" as he didn't even mention Gambit.

It's set in the past so I don't think we are going to get any Gambit development, as we already have a fairly good idea of who he was before the X-Men. Young Storm would be the more interesting character to write. Remy will still likely get the action scenes seeing how Ororo shouldn't have her full level of powers yet. The real question is why it's not called Gambit and Storm. Would've sold more copies that way.

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #257 on: July 20, 2022, 02:27:24 AM »
Well I read Knights of X 4.

They lost Gambit lol

Also lots of things happening off panel again.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #258 on: July 20, 2022, 05:31:52 AM »
Well I read Knights of X 4.

They lost Gambit lol

Also lots of things happening off panel again.

They lost Gambit corpse?
Not surprising, really.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #259 on: July 20, 2022, 05:42:27 AM »
We know when Gambit mini takes place. It starts that Remy helps Strom to run from Shadow King who is stealing kids and will end with them finally breaking free from Shadow King.

I expect Gambit mini to be like Logan or Mandalorian. Main villain needs kid Storm (Baby Yoda, X-23) and Gambit will be protecting her (Mando, Logan.)
It is fine. Probably just a story how Gambit turns from complete scoundrel to more heroic scoundrel at the end.

Also these 2 pages already shows who is a better thief. And for me second page looks golden.
Mini will have a lot of Strom for sure but I have a good feeling about it.

Have a nice day everyone. Hope everyone is good and hoping that SDCC will bring some good news for you.

NicoPony

« Reply #260 on: July 20, 2022, 08:30:17 AM »
someone pointed out on another forum that maybe the lack of talk about gambit is bc CC doesn't want to spoil too much about the main character's story - same reason he was so happy to blather on about his original storyline for gambit back in the AIPT interview. it has nothing to do with what's going on in the mini, so he can talk ad nauseam about it.

the last panel on the page looks like remy is saying: how lucky it is i have this coat.

does the coloration on storm's eyes on the first panel make it look like she has tears welling up or is that just a strange choice on the colorist's part?

only one week away now!

if they lost his body i have to imagine it'll turn up as something/someone else entirely. roma better've picked it up and revived him. SHE CAN TOTALLY DO THAT as she's done it for NINE other mutants before.

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #261 on: July 20, 2022, 08:46:15 AM »
someone pointed out on another forum that maybe the lack of talk about gambit is bc CC doesn't want to spoil too much about the main character's story - same reason he was so happy to blather on about his original storyline for gambit back in the AIPT interview. it has nothing to do with what's going on in the mini, so he can talk ad nauseam about it.

the last panel on the page looks like remy is saying: how lucky it is i have this coat.

does the coloration on storm's eyes on the first panel make it look like she has tears welling up or is that just a strange choice on the colorist's part?

only one week away now!

if they lost his body i have to imagine it'll turn up as something/someone else entirely. roma better've picked it up and revived him. SHE CAN TOTALLY DO THAT as she's done it for NINE other mutants before.

I'll go into a little more detail about what happened.

So Jim opened a portal for them straight to Mercator. Well the Siege Perilous somehow merged with the entire area so basically everybody went through the SP, not just them shoving dead Gambit through. Well everybody worked out their illusions and fantasy worlds either on their own or when Rachel got them out, but Gambit is missing. Roma and Saturnyne end up riding Shogo and shows up at the last page with Merlyn hot on their tails, because at some point after fighting Gambit Merlyn went back home, grabbed some Goons, and then went directly after Roma and Saturnyne. So nobody knows where Gambit is. Maybe he'll show up next issue, maybe he'll get better off panel.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #262 on: July 20, 2022, 09:06:12 AM »

This was my hope as well. Even though CC hasn't quite been what he used to I hoped he is just too good of a writer to fall into the same trappings so many other modern writers have. "The old bait and switch". Hopefully he can't help it but do some good stuff with Gambit.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 10:05:57 AM by wantutosigh »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #263 on: July 20, 2022, 12:16:44 PM »
... #!#$ you mean they "lost" Gambit?! What is this "Weekend in Otherworld"?!
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #264 on: July 20, 2022, 02:49:30 PM »
From what I gathered from CC, the intent was for this to be more of a heist comedy.  So probably the classic older character reluctantly protecting a younger character while the younger character thinks they don't need protecting.  Hijinks and shenanigans ensues.

So probably should be expecting anything other than a fun time but I am sure Gambit will get his fair share of the spotlight and his development will be focused on going from a loner that probably doesn't want or think anyone should rely on him to someone that finds out he does have a good heart thru his relationship with lil Storm.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #265 on: July 20, 2022, 02:52:23 PM »
As for Knights, Howard's writing is like if you gave a kid an adult vocabulary but they still wrote everything with a kid's superficial understanding of the world. There are good ideas and concepts here but Howard only ever explores them at the most basic and superficial level. I get that there is only so much dialogue in a comic but she has had these characters for enough issues overall to have hit on some of these ideas and concepts on a deeper level. Instead I am left feeling like I am reading Fisher-Price My First Comic Book Writing Workshop. As far as Gambit is concerned, she practically beat us over the head with the fact he is missing and he will be coming back.  No real suspense as didn't have time to notice he was gone as the characters went to great lengths to point it out.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 05:34:22 PM by Nekobaghira »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #266 on: July 20, 2022, 03:34:43 PM »
Rachel probably didn't call him to come to the meeting point like she did everybody else because he shut her ass down when she wanted to scrap the mission to go look for her crush. He's probably alive right now completely lost somewhere
We are supposed to fill in the gaps right? That's my take.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 03:39:06 PM by Zoks »

NicoPony

« Reply #267 on: July 20, 2022, 05:00:15 PM »
Rachel probably didn't call him to come to the meeting point like she did everybody else because he shut her ass down when she wanted to scrap the mission to go look for her crush. He's probably alive right now completely lost somewhere
We are supposed to fill in the gaps right? That's my take.

Maybe he’s drowning in the Swamp of Sadness because he misses his cats so much. Gaw, it’s good he’s dead and missed the Sad Swamp bc I don’t want to see Howard’s take on what troubled thoughts lie in the dark pits of Gambit’s soul. It would be the derpiest derp that ever derped.

I think the only guarantee is that whatever happens to Gambit won’t be of any interest lest it detract from Betsy’s amazing saga. Good smokescreen—I mean, KISS though!

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #268 on: July 20, 2022, 05:17:08 PM »

Maybe he’s drowning in the Swamp of Sadness because he misses his cats so much. Gaw, it’s good he’s dead and missed the Sad Swamp bc I don’t want to see Howard’s take on what troubled thoughts lie in the dark pits of Gambit’s soul. It would be the derpiest derp that ever derped.

I think the only guarantee is that whatever happens to Gambit won’t be of any interest lest it detract from Betsy’s amazing saga. Good smokescreen—I mean, KISS though!

Gambit's dark struggle would be having to cook for the team while all out of seasoning and aromatics. The only thing in the pantry would be boxes of instant Kraft macaroni and cheese.

NicoPony

« Reply #269 on: July 20, 2022, 05:30:06 PM »

Gambit's dark struggle would be having to cook for the team while all out of seasoning and aromatics. The only thing in the pantry would be boxes of instant Kraft macaroni and cheese.

;D

I find this relatable. If I never eat Kraft dinner again it’ll be too soon.