Author Topic: Gambit Watch 2022  (Read 118006 times)

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
Re: Gambit Watch 2022
« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2022, 06:28:32 PM »
But if you die in Otherworld, you don't come back "right". Maybe he'll use one of his Tarot cards to get around that? He would be the one to figure out how to game the system.

NicoPony

« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2022, 08:17:19 AM »
If the Siege Perilous is involved, then amnesia is also a possibility. And I think there’s at least two mutants in Otherworld who can just straight up bring people back to life.

Gambit could come back like Wanda with missing memories. I don’t really understand the Resurrection thing between the eggs and then whatever it is that brought back Wanda. I thought there were two ways to resurrect now…? Like Egg way or Magic Pond way. Could be wrong, I quit reading Trial O Magneto after #3 which might’ve been the single worst comic I’ve ever read.

Re: to the Gambit/Sinister connection, In Immortal #2 Destiny tells Sinister: we need to be on the same side, and Sinister is like, wtf you talking about you never said that to me before. So who did Destiny talk to then? One of the other Sinister Suits?

in XMen 9 Destiny says ‘we’ll need you by our side.’ Unclear if she is talking to Gambit or Rogue tho, but she does address Gambit by name (to tell him to shut up mostly).

I’ll throw out there that Gambit isn’t a Sinister suit, but a wildcard. :D

Offline cajunpirate

• Master Thief
« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2022, 09:15:33 AM »
Not a huge fan of Gambit's Gala wardrobe. I would have gone with a classy look...black tux, no tie, purple shirt, shoes and gloves. On a different note, been reading the early Gambit stories from Claremont, back in the blue & yellow uniform days. The ultimate bad-ass. Reminds me why I like the character so much.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2022, 11:42:05 PM »

The whole gala is a riff on the Met Gala, so emphasis on the out there fashion.

...wait did Karma die and come back without her legs? That was an example, right? That didn't actually happen, right?
That did indeed happen…The discussion thread in CBR was …interesting and eventually got locked, lol. It was like, ‘why tf did karma come back without her leg?’ ‘Because disabled people exist you ableist!’ Yeah, it was…fun…

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #184 on: June 10, 2022, 10:05:58 AM »
Pretty sure she was killed by Dani in the Crucible, then came back right before the Gala, and yes, she chose to be an amputee.

So I am assuming Scott chooses to come back brain damaged! :D

There was a very brief discussion between NorthStar and Kyle about resurrecting mutants without phycological trauma, too. I think it touched on our experiences making us who we are versus not having so many mentally ill mutants.

Karma wasn't born without her leg. It was violently taken from her in Messiah Complex or Second Coming by Lady Death. In what Mickey Mouse world would someone who lost their leg in an accident or assault would choose not to have them back? That's nonsense. If they didn't want her to abandon the long-running character aspect - then just don't address it at all. This isn't qn issue of pride - that's ridiculous and super unrealistic. I suppose Hellion wouldn't want his hands back either? The problem isn't the absence or presence - it's the fact that anyone would choose it when it would automatically be restored.

She'd have to consciously choose to go OUT OF HER WAY to be reborn without it or have someone take it off again... come up with something like: "your brain/consciouness has learned to function without it - trying to reverse it would put your system into shock. You may never have full functionality out of it..." That would explain away the ludicrous idea of someone choosing not to have a limb restored. This was a socio-political choice because they didn't want to deal with any "backlash". But then just don't do the story and leave it as it is. Just ridiculous... They've definitely mucked up this whole Ressurection thing.

Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #185 on: June 10, 2022, 10:27:32 AM »
if it's a statement on ableism, well, it's pretty disingenuous. they're just protecting their characters' trademarks.

because cyclops without the brain damage and visor would just be a rando white dude bossing everyone around.

even stupider is wolverine being reborn and having a metal skeleton ADDED on. hey, this is poison and causes constant suffering, but we're rebonding this to your body because ...i guess it looks cool?

and now laura is Oops All Adamantium bc the person who brought her back just assumed she'd want that. if i'd woke up and found out i now weighed 300 pounds, i'd be like WTF dude!

theoretically you could be resurrected in someone else's body if you so chose. i don't know why everyone wouldn't just choose to be Storm.

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2022, 06:05:50 PM »
So reading up on how the reviving works, if Gambit signed up for it Hope could dampen his powers so he wouldn't need surgery from Sinister. But all this ableism talk has me wondering will be come back with red and black eyes. Seems like a bad feature to have as a thief. ;D

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2022, 06:32:57 PM »
Wolverine and cyclops were preserving a trademark. Karma doesn’t have a trademark, let’s e honest. She didn’t even make it in to the terrible new mutants movie. It was a twitter level political statement (because,yes, the writer got in on calling people who didn’t like it ableist.) though, they didn’t have anything to say about Xavier strolling around, or about any of the other characters getting modifications during the resurrections, coming back younger or stronger etc. yes, i got slightly over worked at this, because I had crushed my foot in a car wreck and even though it healed pretty well considering, magically being healed completely would be nice and it does not makes me freaking ableist. Next those guys break an arm or leg, don’t get a cast, wanting to heal is ableist. *grumble, grumble* *rant over* *deep breathes…meditation music playing…*

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #188 on: June 13, 2022, 09:28:17 PM »
Ableist was a thing... Apparently neither does my phone or browser. We're making up stuff now. This has more to do with logic than anything else. I suppose Legion is an ableist too, because he was born with a healthy brain with a stable personality (well more stable)... I guess any mutant that goes through the Crucible to get their lost powers back too. And yeah, Xavier. It's just silly.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

NicoPony

« Reply #189 on: June 14, 2022, 12:30:40 PM »
Wolverine and cyclops were preserving a trademark. Karma doesn’t have a trademark, let’s e honest. She didn’t even make it in to the terrible new mutants movie. It was a twitter level political statement (because,yes, the writer got in on calling people who didn’t like it ableist.) though, they didn’t have anything to say about Xavier strolling around, or about any of the other characters getting modifications during the resurrections, coming back younger or stronger etc. yes, i got slightly over worked at this, because I had crushed my foot in a car wreck and even though it healed pretty well considering, magically being healed completely would be nice and it does not makes me freaking ableist. Next those guys break an arm or leg, don’t get a cast, wanting to heal is ableist. *grumble, grumble* *rant over* *deep breathes…meditation music playing…*

Totally understandable.

Is a deaf person getting a cochlear implant ableist? If a mother chooses to correct her fetus’ deformity in utero, is that ableist?

I’ve understood the general lack of wheelchair access, and other things able-bodied people take for granted to be ‘ableist.’ Discriminating against people on the autism spectrum or with different intellectual abilities is ableist. Correcting a physical impairment isnt being ableist. I think the author is really reaching here. She just wanted to have Karma with a metal leg bc it looked good with her pink cotton candy gown she wore at the last Gala and she’s covering it up with some nonsense virtue signaling. Forge must feel similarly, but having mechanical bits actually makes sense for his powers. Of course he’d want to make improvements and modifications just because he can. Like Don said, don’t make no sense for Karma.

So reading up on how the reviving works, if Gambit signed up for it Hope could dampen his powers so he wouldn't need surgery from Sinister. But all this ableism talk has me wondering will be come back with red and black eyes. Seems like a bad feature to have as a thief. ;D

Agreed, he’d pick the non-surgical please tweak my powers option. His eyes though, his birth parents’ assumed rejection aside, I think he’s played that feature to his advantage. Maybe he wouldn’t have been as charming if he hadn’t had to compensate for his weird eyeballs.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 12:33:57 PM by NicoPony »

Offline cajunpirate

• Master Thief
« Reply #190 on: June 14, 2022, 12:53:47 PM »
X-Men Solicits

Offline cajunpirate

• Master Thief

NicoPony

« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2022, 08:19:42 AM »
Don’t think of it as death. Think of it as an opportunity to not be written by Howard.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #193 on: June 20, 2022, 10:20:02 AM »
If he does I think they'll use this as an excuse to separate him from Rogue, thus removing her uterus from being invaded by outside DNA - because THEY keep bringing it up. Because procreation of that sort is... Distasteful to this group of writers  ;D . But seriously, I think writers are chomping at the bit to throw Rogue at their latest insert. It's a thing that they do. Haven't been able to in a while. Maybe they'll bring him back changed from dying in Otherworld, maybe without his memory of their marriage.

NicoPony

« Reply #194 on: June 20, 2022, 06:33:47 PM »
the number one concern about the rumors of gambit's death is what it means for rogue.

gambit was ripped limb from limb by a horde of furies! oh, no, poor rogue. she'll be so sad.

if gambit gets fridged for rogue's character development, i'm going to be so PO'd. he's been her foil for the last decade. the relationship wouldn't exist if not for gambit putting in the time and effort. she should show up for him for a change with 100% support. i don't want to hear about her feelings and what she wants and how tragic her life is.

hoping for a storyline that is uniquely gambit with nothing to do with rogue. i don't know if there's a gambit/sinister connection building. i don't even know if i like the idea of it, like if he's just another clone. i hope there's a unique spin. between gillen and duggan i'd imagine they'd come up with something cool.

no married couples, no babies. this seems to be an issue with the current writers, not the subject matter. i think if Liu or Williams or even KT were given a stab at the topic, they would do an excellent job with that kind of storytelling. unfortunately it looks like editorial has written it off as uninteresting. i think they are uninteresting. i'm bored of xmen fighting godzilla monsters every week. give me a break with this giant robot/kajui (sp?) bullshirt.