Author Topic: Morbius  (Read 1016 times)

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
Morbius
« on: April 04, 2022, 02:21:52 PM »
I saw this movie and I liked it. The vitriol coming at this movie is really bizarre and unwarranted. I'm not saying it's great or anything and it clearly has it's problems but I thought it was pretty good and entertaining. It's certainly undeserving of all the smack talk against it.Things like, "worst superhero movie ever" and "worst Marvel movie ever" are ridiculous claims. It's two biggest issues are 1. The second half of the film feels like it was chopped up by the studio. It needs more connective tissue to the events and Michael Morbius's personal journey needs a bit more focus. 2. This movie is screaming out for an R rating. PG-13 horror Vampire movie is just a bad choice.

Why is this the film everyone has decided to mercilessly destroy? (There are audiences who are liking the film) Because no way is this movie worse than plenty of others. I'd rather watch this movie than a ton of other trash that Sony, WB, FOX, and more recently Disney Marvel have put out over the years. I mean, months before this movie came out everyone was getting primed to hate this movie. To the point of anything short of a terrific film, it was going to get maligned.

Why did this happen? Is it, all the delays and people just lost all confidence in the movie? Is it that everyone still hates Jared Leto for his Joker interpretation? Is it because he's not the character everyone wanted in the Spidey-verse? Is it because there is still a backlash over pg-13 vampires from the Twilight movies? Maybe a mixture of reasons. All I know is that this movie proves, when the ball of negativity gets rolling,  it can be hard to stop.

This brings me to the Gambit movie that never got made. Perhaps we are lucky that the film never got made as it was. That movie had a similar ball of negativity gaining momentum. From director's dropping out, to people questioning Channing Tatum, to the original inflated budget to the X-Men fans who get jealous because a movie wasn't made about their favorite character and loudly have to put down Gambit... People were already scoffing at it and were basically already chalking it up as a failure and nothing had even been filmed yet. By the time it came out, anything short of spectacular and people would have been ready to crush it. That would have been nightmarish for the character and possibly the studio wouldn't touch him again for many years. After watching this whole Morbius debacle play out, Maybe it's a good thing we didn't get that Gambit movie. At least theres still intrigue and excitement for him.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 02:25:44 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Re: Morbius
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 04:38:54 PM »
I haven't seen this film, not sure when I'll get either. Not a lot of theater options for me.

Glad to read a review though.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 07:02:17 PM »
I haven't seen this film, not sure when I'll get either. Not a lot of theater options for me.

Glad to read a review though.

Thanks. Not much of a review though. More of a dissection into why, of all movies, this one turned into public enemy number one. I find it bizarre.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 09:57:54 AM »
I think the more vocal fans want all the Spider-Man characters with marvel, so they can see their favorites in the MCU and they don’t like the separate ‘sonyverse’.

So far the venom movies and morbius have been made money, (I don’t want to see morbius, but it was number one at the box office) but weren’t very good and they think marvel could do better. It also seems that Jared Leto has a reputation as a weirdo, though I don’t know the whole story there, lol.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 09:59:37 AM by anya »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 12:32:12 PM »
Jared Leto's weirdness was aired out from when he played the Joker in Suicide Squad, there were lots of articles of him being too 'in character' when not filming.

Offline bigbarda

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 09:48:06 AM »
I saw this movie and I liked it. The vitriol coming at this movie is really bizarre and unwarranted. I'm not saying it's great or anything and it clearly has it's problems but I thought it was pretty good and entertaining. It's certainly undeserving of all the smack talk against it.Things like, "worst superhero movie ever" and "worst Marvel movie ever" are ridiculous claims. It's two biggest issues are 1. The second half of the film feels like it was chopped up by the studio. It needs more connective tissue to the events and Michael Morbius's personal journey needs a bit more focus. 2. This movie is screaming out for an R rating. PG-13 horror Vampire movie is just a bad choice.

Why is this the film everyone has decided to mercilessly destroy? (There are audiences who are liking the film) Because no way is this movie worse than plenty of others. I'd rather watch this movie than a ton of other trash that Sony, WB, FOX, and more recently Disney Marvel have put out over the years. I mean, months before this movie came out everyone was getting primed to hate this movie. To the point of anything short of a terrific film, it was going to get maligned.

Why did this happen? Is it, all the delays and people just lost all confidence in the movie? Is it that everyone still hates Jared Leto for his Joker interpretation? Is it because he's not the character everyone wanted in the Spidey-verse? Is it because there is still a backlash over pg-13 vampires from the Twilight movies? Maybe a mixture of reasons. All I know is that this movie proves, when the ball of negativity gets rolling,  it can be hard to stop.

This brings me to the Gambit movie that never got made. Perhaps we are lucky that the film never got made as it was. That movie had a similar ball of negativity gaining momentum. From director's dropping out, to people questioning Channing Tatum, to the original inflated budget to the X-Men fans who get jealous because a movie wasn't made about their favorite character and loudly have to put down Gambit... People were already scoffing at it and were basically already chalking it up as a failure and nothing had even been filmed yet. By the time it came out, anything short of spectacular and people would have been ready to crush it. That would have been nightmarish for the character and possibly the studio wouldn't touch him again for many years. After watching this whole Morbius debacle play out, Maybe it's a good thing we didn't get that Gambit movie. At least theres still intrigue and excitement for him.

I think Jared Leto post-Suicide Squad is the person the internet has decided it's okay to ridicule. I find it hard to watch him in anything without thinking about his Super Mario accent in House of Gucci. Tatum is a much better-liked actor with a wide demographic appeal and who doesn't go on about method acting.

Also, the leaked Sony emails seemed to indicate the management at Sony are trend-chasing idiots with no idea how to make good movies. See: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDTzg90UkAEG_8h.jpg:large

I hate Sony management for burning Sam Raimi so badly he took a 9-year break from making movies. Fox management were pretty bad too. They would probably have inserted some kind of 'Hello Fellow Kids' moment into the Gambit movie.