Author Topic: She Hulk  (Read 864 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
She Hulk
« on: August 27, 2022, 11:26:28 AM »
She-Hulk the series on Disney+ isn't too bad. Episodic, so only 2 out so far for those that binge.
The only thing that is odd, but doesn't happen often is the breaking of the fourth wall. Not horrendous though.
I'll stick with it, anyone else given it a shot?

NicoPony

Re: She Hulk
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 06:40:36 PM »
I am enjoying it.

The first episode: I love how we dive right in, Jen gets her Hulk-powers, we get to the story right away. It felt natural, not rushed, and fun. God, do I love that actress. Here’s what took me out: knowing jerk-wits were going to be like: ‘oh she’s a girl so she’s better at being a Hulk than the Hulk! This is so woke!’ No, it’s not that she’s a woman, she just has different issues not revolving around ANGER. I don’t want her to have the same problems as Bruce, dealing with an anger persona. I’m glad they set her apart from that, so we can have a different story.

After episode two, I just thought: the show is too short! I love watching it so much! When she breaks the wall and says: ‘law drama!” I mean, I love that! Law drama is the best. Now let’s talk about Better Call Saul and how much I’m in love with Bob Odenkirk. Jen isn’t Saul, but I am so into this. Complex character with all the ISSUES trying to do the right thing, but also the self-interest thing. Yeah. Love it so far.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 10:44:54 PM »
I have to admit I haven’t seen she hulk or ms marvel or Thor yet. Having a bit of marvel burn out. I just barely caught up on dr strange and eternals on Disney plus ( eternals was not worth the effort, lol)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 03:22:43 AM »
I have to admit I haven’t seen she hulk or ms marvel or Thor yet. Having a bit of marvel burn out. I just barely caught up on dr strange and eternals on Disney plus ( eternals was not worth the effort, lol)
I know what you mean on the 'burn out'. I only tried She-Hulk because the trailer was amusing.
I did try Loki series, not to my liking but not horrible. It was 'bleh'. I would want to the God of Mischief more freedom to be him but that is my "TV wish". LOL
Are you talking movies with Ms. Marvel and Dr. Strange or do they both TV series. I only pop into Disney+ when I remember I have access to it. Not a good thing. LOL

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 11:03:34 AM »

Phase 4 has been quite poor, Spider-Man No Way Home is the only good one IMO. Black Widow, Shang-Chi and Eternals were all pretty bad. Haven't seen the new Dr Strange yet and the new Thor looks like it's trying too hard to be funny. I think they need to bring in X-Men and F4 asap...and hopefully cut back on the quips for the love of God! (lol)

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 01:31:00 PM »
All I will say is this... I pretty much haven't enjoyed anything the MCU has put out in a while. Certainly not in phase 4. Not the movies or the shows. I feel the writing in the more recent MCU content has basically fallen off a cliff. I really think that they have all but totally lost the plot on what makes good and compelling heroes and villains. The characters are suffering. Male and female alike. Storylines and plots are being poorly conceived and is really making the universe messy. They can't even keep a consistent tone. Not to mention most of this stuff is, in one ear and out the other. Not much worth coming back to.

And this is a shame because I want to like Marvel stuff but I just really don't. It makes me very concerned for what they are going to do with the X-Men. Just this multiverse nonsense alone in severely muddying the waters before the X-Men are even close to showing up. A few years ago I was praying for Marvel to get the rights back to the X-Men. Now I'm dreading how they are going to screw up the characters and my excitement has almost totally gone away.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 01:33:15 PM by wantutosigh »

NicoPony

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 03:55:19 PM »
I do agree with the assessment of the villains, they are not compelling. I am hoping that improves once they’ve set up their heroes, because really, your hero is only as interesting as their villain.

I don’t mind the tone being inconsistent, because there should be something for everyone to enjoy. I loved the family drama and cultural nuance in Ms. Marvel, but unfortunately the villains were so meh I was like, shut up about these genie people and get back to the brother’s wedding. Yay, Bollywood dancing!

where Kamala had her own small section of the marvel universe and dealt with family and friends, likewise I appreciated that Moon Knight was self-contained and you didn’t need to know 40+ Mcu movies and shows to follow it. I also liked that Moon Knight’s focus was on mental health/illness. And the dead bird skull guy was rad. Great character voice work!

so I’m happy with a rom com lawyer drama.

Less happy with time travel and multidimensional nonsense bc I just get confused too easily. Sorry Loki and Dr Strange.

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 03:20:58 AM »
Discussing differences in tone and 'rom com lawyer drama' made me think of the crossover between "Ally McBeal’ and ‘The Practice’. XD

I am sooooo old!

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 10:40:30 AM »
I can see the 'The Practice' .... I loved that show. Never watch 'Ally McBeal' but I get where you're going.
The show is more fun than expected. LOL
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 11:01:46 AM by Nekobaghira »